Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Review: Cursed by Fire: A New-Adult Urban Fantasy Novel (Blood & Magic #1) by Danielle Annett

Book Blurb:

Blood is going to spill …

It won't be mine.

Someone is feeding the flames, leaving a trail of bodies in their wake. The victims are innocents, chosen to pit the shifter Pack and the vampire Coven against one another.

If war breaks out, humanity won’t survive.

But controlling fire is my thing, and I won’t let that happen.

I’m a mercenary, but this is about so much more than money. It’s my city and someone is threatening it. I won’t stop until I find them.

When the good guys start to look more like villains, I have no choice but to question everything I knew, including the people I thought I could trust.

It turns out the humans might not be as helpless as they seem, and I'm in more danger than I realized.

If you like K.F. Breene, Annette Marie, Patricia Briggs, McKenzie Hunter, CN Crawford, Leia Stone, or Linsey Hall, then buckle up buttercup, and get ready for a fast paced adventure you won't be able to put down.

Find out more by Curse by Fire on Goodreads

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Supernatural, Suspense, Urban Fantasy, Vampires, Werewolves--

I love all things urban fantasy so I am happy to find new books to get lost into. I have seen this series popping up all the time over the years and I have actually read the fourth book in the series (I was incorrectly told it was a standalone- I recommend reading them in order FYI) but I had never started the series. When I was given the opportunity to begin the series as an audiobook, I jumped at the chance.

I would love to listen to the rest of the series on audio, the narrator did a great job of keeping me engaging and entertained. I actually picked up the second book before I even finished the first because I knew I was going to want more. The audiobook was a little less than six hours so it was a pretty quick book, made even quicker by the fast paced plot. The story takes place over the course of just a few days and it was jammed by so much action! This was a murder mystery mixed with a huge conspiracy running through the plot in the background, filled with supernatural aspects like werewolves, vampires and magic users of all kinds. Every minute of the book was mixed with some sort mystery, battle or magic, causing me to blow through the book.

The ending was not really an ending, instead it felt very much like the beginning of more to come and I am looking forward to it. As a side note, romance was not the focus of the book but I would love to know how that aspect of the world will play out because there were a lot of interesting men introduced (keep in mind most have possible nefarious purposes, but that doesn't stop them from being interesting!)

No comments:

Post a Comment