Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Review: Sick Kids in Love by Hannah Moskowitz

Book Blurb:

Isabel has one rule: no dating.

It's easier--

It's safer--

It's better--

--for the other person.

She's got issues. She's got secrets. She's got rheumatoid arthritis.

But then she meets another sick kid.

He's got a chronic illness Isabel's never heard of, something she can't even pronounce. He understands what it means to be sick. He understands her more than her healthy friends. He understands her more than her own father who's a doctor.

He's gorgeous, fun, and foul-mouthed. And totally into her.

Isabel has one rule: no dating.

It's complicated--

It's dangerous--

It's never felt better--

--to consider breaking that rule for him.

Find out more about Sick Kids in Love on Goodreads

My Review:

3.5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Heart, Romance, Teen--

Isabel always felt like there was something wrong with her, something overlooked that nobody else knew but her. So when she was finally diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, she felt justified to belong to the sick kids group. When she meets a cute boy while at her quarterly infusion treatment, she thinks nothing of it. Little did she know that he would become such an important part of her life.

I was so excited to read this story, you have no idea. Everyone who knows me knows of my crazy irrational love for all kinds of illness books (death books as my family lovingly refers to them) ever since I was little. Anything having to do with illness and yes, potential death, I find super interesting and I gobble up. When I saw that this was about two chronic illnesses that really not mentioned in the grand scheme of being sick literature (I may have spiraled down the rabbit hole of researching both conditions once I started reading to gain a better understanding), I knew I was going to read the story. Add in the fact the author mentions that they don't die and I was looking forward to this YA contemporary love story.

I found the relationship to be cute, the banter seemed endearing and all the medical treatments and symptoms (based on previously mentioned research) seemed pretty realistic. I loved Sasha and his upbeat life view, I kind of wanted to adopt both him and his quiet sister Nadia, I found them so adorable. I really liked how open minded Isabel's friends were towards trying to understand at the end and I think that is something everyone can attempt to do with those in their life.

The one thing I struggled a little with was Isabel herself. She was moderately abrasive and combative, making me have a hard time liking her. Sure she was interesting as a character, but as she even admitted, she was more selfish than Sasha was and didn't want to change. Which is fine, don't change for a boy, totally on board with that, but she was a little inflexible when it came to all her relationships, everyone else had to get with her plan. Also, it seemed a little like being sick was her personality/identity, which might be true but I could not relate since I personally have so many things to identify as- but keep in mind I am not sick, so this might be true for those who struggle with chronic illness and I have no frame of reference.

Overall this was a fast, cute romance (where nobody died) and I would easily pick up another read from this author in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment