Thursday, October 31, 2019

Review: Academy of Shifters: Werewolves 101 (Academy of Shifters #1) by Marisa Claire

Book Blurb:

For Remi St. James, It started with the blackouts. Then the vivid nightmares. That’s nothing compared to waking up naked, alone in a forest with no recollection of how she got there.

Scary as hell, but what she discovers is far worse.

Remi was changing into something more--something supernatural.

After coming to terms with what she is, Remi starts school at the Gladwell Academy of Shifters, an exclusive and secretive college designed to awaken those with extraordinary abilities.

Remi meets Laith Brighton, an impossibly hot, mountain lion shifter who's also an irresistible jerk. Then there's the cliques of werewolves and bears. Plenty of mean girls with mind powers. Everything a regular college has--just a bit weirder. But what she discovers is far darker than anyone could imagine.

Can she maintain her sanity in a place that is incredibly insane?

Fans of the Fallen Academy and Supernatural Academy series will love this snarky paranormal fantasy filled with shifters and romance.

Find out more about the Academy of Shifters on Goodreads

My Review:

5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Romance, Supernatural, Suspense, Urban Fantasy, Werewolves--

I found this audiobook to be super fun and fairly unexpected. It was a very fast listen at 5 and a half hours so I was able to listen to it in one day and the story was different and interesting. I mean really, what is not to love about a magical college (think harry potter style) full of supernatural shifters- full of secrets and conspiracies?! And in case you did not know, werewolves are one of my favorite genres to read and Remy just so happens to be an unsuspecting werewolf.

The one thing that I had issues with the story was how long Remy was convinced she was dreaming. She goes 6 weeks assuming she is having a very vivid, realistic yet fantastical dream where she is attending a supernatural college for shapeshifters. I kept waiting for her to come to terms with her new situation but her level of self denial was impressive. Overall though, she was an entertaining character who showed a lot of personal growth throughout the book and I really loved who she became.

Minus Remy's denial issues aside, she was a very straightforward character. As an orphan who bounced around the foster care system, she learned to only rely on herself and that she has no time for fantasy and make-believe. She was a girl very grounded in sensible reality who found out that she actually belonged in a very magical world.

I really enjoyed the story and I can't wait to get into the next one. There was mystery and paranormal, action and excitement, unexpected friendships as well as a forbidden romance I fully shipped. The rest of the series is not on audio but I wish there were so I could go snag them and binge the rest of the series. But alas, I might just get the ebooks because I am not sure I will be able to wait to know what will happen next.

No comments:

Post a Comment