Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Review: Furyborn (Empirium #1) by Claire Legrand

Book Blurb:

The stunningly original, must-read fantasy of 2018 follows two fiercely independent young women, centuries apart, who hold the power to save their world...or doom it.

When assassins ambush her best friend, Rielle Dardenne risks everything to save him, exposing herself as one of a pair of prophesied queens: a queen of light, and a queen of blood. To prove she is the Sun Queen, Rielle must endure seven elemental magic trials. If she fails, she will be executed...unless the trials kill her first.

One thousand years later, the legend of Queen Rielle is a fairy tale to Eliana Ferracora. A bounty hunter for the Undying Empire, Eliana believes herself untouchable--until her mother vanishes. To find her, Eliana joins a rebel captain and discovers that the evil at the empire's heart is more terrible than she ever imagined.

As Rielle and Eliana fight in a cosmic war that spans millennia, their stories intersect, and the shocking connections between them ultimately determine the fate of their world--and of each other.

Find out more about the book on Goodreads

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Heart-Wrenching, Romance, Royal-Court, Supernatural, Suspense, Teen--

Told in alternating points of view, hundreds of years apart, the lives of Eliana and Rielle unfold. Eliana is a hired assassin, taking on morally despicable tasks for her ruler in order to keep her brother and mother safe. But when the Wolf comes looking for her, her world implodes. Rielle has spent her life hiding what she is really capable of, the power uncontrollable and dangerous until it was unleashed and all knew of her powers. Through trials and danger, the two women battle for what is theirs, with a connection between the two no one could expect.

This was a hard complicated book book to get through, super dense and heavy. I would personally classify Furyborn as adult Fantasy, not YA, the only reason it might even be YA is due to the characters being older teens/young 20s. All of the concepts were more adult and the characters were incredibly mature, plotting their own destinies. AND there was at least one pretty detailed sex scene that does not belong in anything I would ever call YA.

I have no idea how to describe the book except it was very epic and I will continue on in the series no doubt. I had a hard time getting into the story in general, I was about 50% through before I was fully invested in the book. I really liked Eliana, I thought she was cool and intense, almost like a Celaena Sardothien type character and I loved her chapters. Rielle was harder for me to connect to since she seemed like a selfish character who made some stupid impulsive choices that cost so many, but by the end of the book I needed to know what would happen to both the women. And boy, was this a twist, dangerous, dark ride that I never saw coming, with the scariest of Angels! By the end of the book I was so into this world and messed up plot that I can't wait to jump into the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment