Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Review: Vortex Visions (Air Awakens: Vortex Chronicles #1) by Elise Kova

Book Blurb:

A desperate princess, a magical traveler, and a watch that binds them together with the fate of a dying world.

Vi Solaris is the heir to an Empire she’s barely seen. Her parents sacrificed a life with her to quell a rebellion and secure peace with a political alliance. Now, three years past when her wardship should’ve ended, Vi will do anything to be reunited with her family.

The Empire is faltering beneath the burden of political infighting and a deadly plague. Yet, Vi can’t help but wonder if her inability to control her magic is the true reason her parents haven’t brought her home. Suspicion becomes reality when she unleashes powers she’s not supposed to have.

Powers that might well cost her the throne.

As Vi fights to get her magic under control, a mysterious stranger appears from across the world. He holds the keys to unlocking her full potential, but the knowledge has an unspeakable price — some truths, once seen, cannot be ignored.

All eyes are on her and Vi must make the hardest choice of her life: Play by the rules and claim her throne. Or, break them and save the world.

Find out more about the book on Goodreads and pick up a copy from Amazon

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Mystery, Royal-Court, Supernatural, Witches--

Vi wants nothing more but to leave her captivity and join her family, and that is finally a dream that will come true soon. After growing up a ward of a Chieftain due to a contract made before her birth, Vi has been trained far from her future kingdom, waiting for the day her fire magic would finally come forth. But when her fire magic sparks, there is something off about it. Even more odd, but a man's voice keeps popping up to tale her that she has a bigger purpose in the world, something Vi never would have guessed. Danger is brewing and Vi is at the center of it.

So I hate to admit this, but Vortex Vision is the first book I have read by Elise. I have picked up a couple of her titles in different series but I have yet to start them yet. When I was given a chance to read Vortex Vision I jumped at the offer because I had heard great things about Elise's book and so many people were excited for this new release.

One thing is certain, Elise is the master of creating worlds. She crafted something so new and detailed, unlike the real world, this one filled with magic, creatures, war and plague, all potentially deadly and amazing. I will say that at times I feel like I was missing some details, like maybe I should have read one of her other books first to get a feel for the world and political climate. One thing that I will say is that I had a hard time getting into the story, probably about 35% in before I realized I was engaged and I think that might be in part to having to try and understand the world as well as the meeting the characters. Once I started putting the pieces together I really enjoyed the story and the magic.

That ending! Gawd, can I have the next book now please? I have so many questions that I need answered as well as a certain mysterious and stubborn man I would love to see more of. Elise created something so unique and wonderful, with mystery, danger, magic and intrigue, unlike any story I have read before. I can't wait to read the rest of this series as well as all her other series that I just discovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment