Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Review: Unearthed (Unearthed #1) by Amie Kaufman by Meagan Spooner

Book Blurb:

When Earth intercepts a message from a long-extinct alien race, it seems like the solution the planet has been waiting for. The Undying's advanced technology has the potential to undo environmental damage and turn lives around, and Gaia, their former home planet, is a treasure trove waiting to be uncovered.

For Jules Addison and his fellow scholars, the discovery of an alien culture offers unprecedented opportunity for study... as long as scavengers like Amelia Radcliffe don't loot everything first. Mia and Jules' different reasons for smuggling themselves onto Gaia put them immediately at odds, but after escaping a dangerous confrontation with other scavvers, they form a fragile alliance.

In order to penetrate the Undying temple and reach the tech and information hidden within, the two must decode the ancient race's secrets and survive their traps. But the more they learn about the Undying, the more their presence in the temple seems to be part of a grand design that could spell the end of the human race...

Find out more about the book on Goodreads

------

------

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Aliens, Another-World, Mystery, Romance, Space, Survival, Suspense, Teen--

Mia will do anything to pay off her younger sister's debt so that she can be free, even if that means risking her life to join a scavenger team that will send her to a dangerous alien planet to loot pricey artifacts from the Undying temples. Jules is willing to do anything to prove that his father is not crazy and assumes a fake identity to go on a mission to the famous alien planet to find the one artifact that will prove to the world his theories. Little did Mia and Jules know that they would have to rely on each other for survival and battle a conspiracy.

Kaufman and Spooner originally joined up to write one of my most favorite ever series, Starbound, so when I saw that they were writing a new science fiction series there was no doubt that I was going to get my hands on it. And it doesn't hurt that the cover is so eye-catching! Yep, the plot, the authors. the cover- basically, Unearthed was the complete package guaranteed to lure me in.

Unearthed is about two strangers on a quest to excavate a temple on an alien world, which is a pretty cool concept in general, like an alien version of Indiana Jones. I will say though, that I did find the story a little slow when I first picked it up. Sure, a lot was going on and it was one non-stop adventure but at times I found my attention lagging a little in the beginning. The second half of the book was fast paced and engaging, and I kept turning the pages to know what was going to happen. I was just as stressed as the two main characters, the tension was out of control!

That ending, though! I can't believe they would do that to me! I need the next book as soon as possible since I am shocked and completely loving it. If this ending doesn't make you desperate for answers, maybe nothing will... I will be counting down the days until I can buy the next book in the duology and see where this mystery goes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment