Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Review: Glamour of Midnight by Casey L. Bond

Book Blurb:

Nineteen-year-old Karis has been blind since birth, but for some reason, she can see through the wall of smoke that separates the human lands from those of the Faeries that rule in grand courts on the other side. Most of the time, the only thing she can see on the other side of the wall is the swipe of a tail or the trailing of a bony hand along the surface. But one day, a handsome faerie appears and sweeps her away into his world—a world that is being ravaged by an evil so dark and deadly, she fears she may never see her home again.

Loftin is a bounty hunter and he has been searching for Karis since she went missing from the Court of Ash. He needs to return her and collect the ransom. But the longer they travel together and the more he teaches her about what she is now able to see, the more difficult he finds the thought of letting her go. A fiery passion ignites between them, but with a monster tracking their every move, they must find a way to reach the Court of Ash before it kills them both.

Find out more about Glamour of Midnight on Goodreads

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Faeries, Mystery, Retelling, Romance, Royal-Court, Supernatural, Suspense--

Loftin the hunter has lost everything, but when the dark Queen Nemain requests (aka forces) his service to hunt her missing daughter, he can't say no- and he may have a chance to save his people. He must find the missing girl or he will face death as so many before him who had failed did. Karis knows nothing of her past, found blind wandering the forest as a child by her adoptive brother. She knows she is a burden on him now that she is grown, but she has no idea how to fix the situation. Until she can see, that is...

I had a rocky start with this story, I kept picking it up and then putting it back down to do something else because I could just not get into it. Well, I finally forced myself to read past the first five or so chapters and it paid off because once Karis entered the Faerie world the story was fantastic- full of action, danger, lies, betrayal and magic and I sped through the rest of the book in just a few hours. As everyone who knows me knows, I love faeries- all things faeries, so I was so excited to find an all new, completely different world to get lost in with my favorite beautiful yet deadly non-humans!

Usually in my Faerie books, the Seelies are the biggest danger with their good looks, magic and sneakiness, but based on the first half of this story, the inhuman Unseelie beasties are the ones to watch out for. Can I just mention how cool I think Puca's are?? Alluring, angry water horses whose purpose is to drown you? Can I have more books with them in it?

This was my first read by Casey even though I own a bunch of her books, which I will now gobble up as soon as possible. Her descriptions made the story come to life, I could see and experience the danger right along with Karis, which is a feat I think based on how fantastical the details of the story were. I highly recommend Glamour of Midnight for anyone who can't get enough of the Fey and are looking for a new kind of adventure fairytale retelling.

I am voluntarily reviewing a complimentary copy of this book.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for reading and reviewing! I'm glad you liked the book (and the puca)! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Pucas are so cool, definitely my new obsession

      Delete