Thursday, December 20, 2018

Review: When Stars Come Out (When Stars Come Out #1) by Scarlett St. Clair

Book Blurb:

Anora Silby can see the dead and turn spirits into gold coins, two things she would prefer to keep secret as she tries to lead a normal life at her new school. After all, she didn’t change her identity for nothing.

As it turns out, hiding her weirdness is just one of many challenges. By the end of her first day, she’s claimed the soul of a dead girl on campus and lost the coin. Turns out, the coin gives others the ability to steal souls, and when a classmate ends up dead, there’s no mistaking the murder weapon.

Navigating the loss of her Poppa, her mother’s mistrust, and Roundtable, an anonymous student gossip app threatening to expose her, are hard enough. Now she must find the person who stole her coin before more lives are lost, but that means making herself a target for the Order, an organization that governs the dead on Earth--and they want Anora and her powers for themselves.

Find out more about the book on Goodreads

------

------

------

------

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Ghosts, Heart-Wrenching, Mystery, Romance, Scary, Supernatural, Suspense, Teen--

Anora has been given a chance to start fresh after what happened at her last school, and she better not blow it. And that means keeping quiet about the fact she sees ghosts and can take people's souls- you know, the usual. Things are changing in the running of the Valryn, and Shy is not sure it is for the better. When he is given an unexpected assignment to guard the future leader of his people, Shy knows there is something more going on that what he was told.

The first thing that appealed to me about this book was the cover- it is so gorgeous, and eye catching and slightly creepy and ominous I just had to learn more about the book.I have never experienced a supernatural creature like the Valryn before, a raven shifter who hunts ghosts and other dark shadows of the night. Ooh, and the mythology with Charon and his position of gate keeper was really interesting take on the classic Greek Mythology. They were a really cool concept that I think helps this book stand out from the rest of the YA paranormal romances floating out there.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer taught me resurrection is a bad idea. People always come back wrong.

And yes, I did say Paranormal Romance- because that is what this is. Sure, there are other things going on in the plot, like a mystery, danger and some super freaky scary imagery, but the heart (sorry, could not resist!) of this story was a sweet love. For the most part, the ending wrapped up everything important but I am glad that this is just book 1 in a series because I have so many predictions and hopes for what is to come for Anora and Shy.

The one thing that I struggled with in the book was that I felt like I was missing something, like a prequel or another book, because there was a LOT of backstory and world-building that was hinted at like I should know, but it was never explained until like 60% into the book. I definitely struggled to keep up and I did not enjoy that feeling. Once I finally felt like I knew what was happening I was completely into the book and did not put it down until I finished.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment