Thursday, August 2, 2018

Review: The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen #3) by Emily R. King

Book Blurb:

Despite the odds, Kalinda has survived it all: Marriage to a tyrant. Tournaments to the death. The forbidden power to rule fire. The icy touch of a demon.

That same demon now disguises itself as Rajah Tarek, Kalinda’s late husband and a man who has never stopped haunting her. Upon taking control of the palace and the army, the demon brands Kalinda and her companions as traitors to the empire. They flee across the sea, seeking haven in the Southern Isles.

In Lestari, Kalinda’s powers are not condemned, as they are in her land. Now free to use them to protect those she loves, Kalinda soon realizes that the demon has tainted her with a cold poison, rendering her fire uncontrollable. But the lack of control may be just what she needs to send the demon back to the darkest depths of the Void.

To take back the empire, Kalinda will ally with those she distrusts—and risk losing those most loyal to her—to defeat the demon and bring peace to a divided nation.

Find out more about the book on Goodreads and pick up a copy from Amazon

My Review:

5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Heart-Wrenching, Historical, Romance, Royal-Court, Scary, Supernatural, Suspense, Teen--

The Rogue Queen picks up where the last book left us, with Kali and her small group of companions are on the run from the Voider, the demon that was unleashed at the end of the last book, who took the place of the dead Rajah Tarek. Kali fights a sickness brought on by the touch of the Voider, causing weakness, injury as well as an imbalance of her fire gift. The group knows that a dangerous war is brewing for their empire, of good versus bad, that will have surprises and betrayals. But the real question is who will survive?

Gah, Kali made so many choices that I wanted to reach into the pages and force her to take back! Sure, I understand the idea of the good of the empire (thank goodness for all you that I am not in charge of an empire because I vote love over the good of all...) but it was so difficult to support what was happening, especially when I could sense the underlying darkness. This book made my heart hurt with the emotional upheaval that took place. The men in Kali's life pretty much got whiplash from the ups and downs of this roller coaster relationship and my heart really broke for all of them. Nothing has ever been easy for Kali.

Sigh, how I missed Deven, and his loyalty and even disposition! Deven was the second narrator in the book and I was ever so happy to get his voice again, I needed his point of view to keep me going in the face of so many hard choices. Can I just mention how happy I was that Deven made a choice based on what he felt was right and not from his emotions due to the guilt trip a certain powerful Kindred gave him? Deven has always been the vice of reason, the paragon of virtue and I love that about him- no matter what has happened, what love is lost, he will always fight for what is right. Sniff, sniff.

I loved seeing characters from all different parts of the past books pop up, all showing how everything is tied together and that the fate of the empire for everyone is in question (Natessa and Yatin make me so happy!). The tension just kept building and building throughout the book- I was literally on the edge of my seat while reading, grasping the book with both hands, white knuckles, waiting for the moment everything would come crashing down around these people I have become invested in. Sure there was some nice fighting and action thrown in to, but I feel like the body of the story was setting me up for the huge climax in the plot.

There is just one book left in the series and with the number of surprises Emily has thrown at me and these characters, I have no idea what will happen next- everyone's fate is questionable. I can only hope for a HEA for Kali, but I am ever so worried as to what devastation will come (the ending!). I hold my breath and very willingly jump into the last leg of this magical, dangerous journey. I hope I can survive it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment