Thursday, August 2, 2018

Review: Game of Lies (The Messenger Chronicles #2) by Pippa DaCosta

Book Blurb:

The Messenger rocked your world, and now she's back. But have her lies finally caught up with her?

Trust doesn't come easy for Kesh Lasota. She survived life as a slave, survived the Dreamweaver's touch, but surviving Marshal Kellee and the mysterious Talen is a whole other game, one she's not sure she's ready for.

When the three are captured by a bloodthirsty fae general sweeping through the last of Halow's human colonies, the only weapons they have left are lies. And so Kesh must pretend to be the gladiator they all expect, while Kellee is forced to fight against her, and Talen is... Well, just who is Talen when he can command soldiers with a glance and move among the fae elite as though he belongs?

Trust doesn't come easy for Kesh Lasota, neither does love. She must survive both, or everything she's fought for will be lost forever, including her men.

Find out more about the book on Goodreads and pick up a copy from Amazon

My Review:

5 out of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Faeries, Heart-Wrenching, Mystery, Reverse Harem, Royal-Court, Space, Supernatural, Suspense--

Kesh has had a rough time of it lately, and there are no signs that things will get better. After her true identity as the Wraithmaker was found out, her real mission and the fact she is still a pawn for so many sides, trust is not something that comes easy. There may not be trust, but there is a kind of love that Kesh experiences for her good intentioned captors, Talen and Kellee, and she is willing to do anything to keep them alive- even if that means leaving them behind. But yet again, choices are removed from Kesh, and the Fey have other plans for her.

Keep in mind this is book 2 in a very complicated series that HAS to be read in order- nothing will make sense if you don't start at the beginning, and book 2 picks up pretty much right after book 1 ends. This book was heartbreaking for me, pretty much everything I hoped for was smashed. The fragile tethers that held the very unusual pairing together was ripped apart and no matter how hard I tried to catch the ends and piece them back together, it just would not work. Pretty much, this book completely unwound everything that had been created at the end of last book and I felt a little bit like I wanted to cry. And yet, I just kept on reading, hoping for some silver lining to tape over the holes left behind...And let me tell you, hope hurts.

Ooh, side note- I am ever so conflicted on my feelings towards Eledan. I feel like I should hate him, he is pretty much evil incarnate...yet I think he is interesting, flawed, layered...and most likely a crazy delusion? Yeah, I am all twisted up in knots over who I like and root for. We have quiet Talen who is not at all what he seems and has certain expectations of Kesh she just does not seem to fall into, rule follower Kellee that keeps second guessing Kesh's loyalty but tries to make her a good person...and we see some friends (...or whatever you want to call them) from Kesh's past that may play a role in what is starting to be a very interesting, totally screwed up harem. Keep in mind, this is a SLOW BURN RH, she and her guys are just deciding if they even like each other (which is still up for debate at times). Heck both Kesh and a certain guy have sex with others in this book, but barely even touch. But boy is the tension in this story off the charts.

And here lies the most magical thing about Pippa's writing- even while I am in mental turmoil over my beloved character's fates, I am gobbling up pages and counting down the days until I can get the next book. She can create fantastical worlds unlike anything I have ever encountered before, completely sucking me in, and the most flawed, at times completely evil character that I am still beguiled by and rooting for. Pippa is word magic- but only if you like a touch (and by touch I mean a huge heaping pile) of darkness in your stories. I highly recommend this series (and anything else Pippa creates) for anyone looking for something completely new and fantastical.

No comments:

Post a Comment