Thursday, August 23, 2018

Review: Copycat by Hannah Jayne

Book Blurb:

Everyone is dying to read the latest book in the popular Gap Lake mystery series, and Addison is no exception. As the novels biggest fan, Addison is flattered when the infamously reclusive author, R.J. Rosen, contacts her, granting her inside information others would kill for.

But when the most popular girl in Addison's high school is murdered, Addison can't help but think that life may be imitating fiction. And as other terrifying events from the book start happening around her, Addison has to figure out how to write her own ending -and survive the story.

Find out more about the book on Goodreads and pick up a copy from Amazon

My Review:

3 Out of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Suspense, Teen--

Addie is completely obsessed with the book series Gap Lake, even has her own website dedicated to the series where she posts her fanfiction to all her followers. When she gets contacted through email by the reclusive author of the series, R.J. Rosen, she is ecstatic and flattered that he wants her to post his snippets on her blog. But when Addie finds the dead body of the most popular girl at school, fiction takes a turn for reality.

As someone who completely fangirls over my favorite authors, the concept for this book really spoke to me. A book about a fan/blogger and a murder mystery? Yes please! Unfortunately I had a hard time getting too invested in this story for some reason. I did not find myself connecting to Addie really very much at all and at times her reactions were not that realistic to me. The whole deal with her dad fell a little flat and was uninteresting even though it was necessary for plot. I did really enjoy the bestie, Maya, she added spunk and personality to the book that kept me going- she was hysterical and inappropriate. AS a bonus, this was not really a romance as I kind of expected when the characters were all introduced, but it was a nice friendship story and I appreciated that.

Overall this was a very fast read with an ending that did catch me off guard, with a surprise as to who the killer really was. Sure I had my list of suspects and motives, but the actual killer and their motives were not something I predicted (the motives were not great which is probably why I did not see it coming, more like filler, but the killer was a nice twist). I will always read Hannah's books, they are nice, thrilling escapism reads that I usually enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment