Monday, January 8, 2018

Review: Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna #1) by Kendare Blake

Book Blurb:

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead. So did his father before him, until he was gruesomely murdered by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. They follow legends and local lore, destroy the murderous dead, and keep pesky things like the future and friends at bay. Searching for a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas expects the usual: track, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, now stained red and dripping with blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home. Yet she spares Cas's life.
Add the book on Goodreads

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Ghosts, Heart-Wrenching, Mystery, Romance, Scary, Supernatural, Suspense, Teen, Witches--

​Cas and his mother travel all over the country going where Cas is needed to put an unruly spirit to rest. He received a message that there is a girl who is murdering people and has so for years, his special talent in need desperately. But nothing seems to go according to his well used plan, including untrained teens pushing their way into his business and life. But the most disturbing part is that Cas finds himself drawn to the angry spirit, Anna, ​and for some reason, Anna will not kill him, yet everyone else is fair game. There is so much more at stake here and a bigger, more dangerous mystery brewing. I have seriously been wanting to read this book for forever, but for some reason just never actually did. After reading Kendare's Three Dark Crowns last year and completely falling in love with her writing style, plot twists, unpredictable darkness and complex characters, I knew that Anna Dressed in Blood was now a MUST-read asap.

​Hands down, my favorite part of the story was the horror imagery​! Everything was terrifying and the description brought it to life and in my face- I saw the death and destruction, I felt the hairs raise on my arms, I heard the breathing from something of the dead variety! I was right there in the action with Cas, completely overwhelmed, scared and worried as to what would happen next- and I loved every spine chilling encounter. The part about the attic will forever haunt me, as it should. This is the way I like my horror books- terrifying. Read this book with caution- if you scare easy, read during the day...with all the lights on...and some supernatural weapons handy(salt? athame?)...near a spirit watching cat...with a house full of people...and some holy water for good measure?

(ps looking up scary memes was very dangerous for my computer's well-being, I jumped and almost dropped my laptop at least 5 times while trying to find some images for this review (I jumped so much once my husband thought I might be under attack!). So be warned, googling "scary ghost meme" could be pretty terrifying on its own.)

**I listened to this book on audio and I was not a super big fan of the narrator. I feel like he was a little bit monotone and made all the important scary things seem pretty mundane and unimportant, so much so that I wanted to shake him! That being said, I enjoyed the writing well enough to give the book 4 solid stars even though I did not like the narrator at all. This is my second book by Kendare and I am pretty sure that this is love. I can say with 100% surety that I have no idea what will happen next. There is so much I want to know and can't even predict that it is a certainty I will read the next Anna book...as well as anything else Kendare wants to terrify me with.​

No comments:

Post a Comment