Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Review: The Heartbreak Cure by Amanda Ashby

Book Blurb:

How to get over a heartbreak:

Step one: Eat your body weight in brownies.

Step two: Throw yourself into your dreams of becoming a famous writer.

Step three: Beg your (hottie) ex-neighbor to act as your fake boyfriend.

Step four: Skip step three unless you’re ready for some serious fallout.

After being dumped and humiliated over the summer, Cat Turner does what any sane girl would do. She asks bad boy Alex Locke to be her fake boyfriend and show the world (and her editor at the school newspaper) that she's fine. Problem is, the more time she spends with Alex, the more she risks getting her heart broken. For real this time.

Disclaimer: This Entangled Teen Crush book contains a swoony bad boy who will melt your heart, brownies, and witty banter. One, two, or all three might prove addictive…

My Review:

5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Romance, Teen--

Cat was just dumped, and to make it worse, the boy who dumped her only dated her as a dare and recorded the whole situation to upload to youtube for everyone to see. To make things worse, her job on the school newspaper is now on the line since the editor believes she might be too emotionally unstable to handle it. Enter Alex, Cat's old neighbor and friend, thought of as the "bad boy" but really just keeps to himself. Cat comes up with a plan to fake date Alex to make everyone believe she moved on, but what happens when real feelings get involved in a fake relationship?

Gawd, I really loved this book! Like, for realsies I want a physical copy just so I could hug it. This was the perfect blend of everything I didn't know I needed and I could not stop reading until it was over and I had to stop because there was literally nothing left. I found the book to be so charming, fun, cute, sweet and quirky, as well as character driven with two of the best characters I have read recently.

Usually I have a favorite character in a book, but here my love was equally spread between Cat and Alex- I loved them both and appreciated their differences. As per my favorite, this was a dual narrated romance so the story was told by both characters. Cat was so determined and kind, ready to try and see the good in most situations and fight against injustices. Her fiction writing was hysterical, be it romantic or death, and beware of those killer ants. Alex was such a sweet guy even though he was completely wrong about his self perception. He cast this bad boy image, but he was the picture of respect and hard work, never once stepping out of bounds and trying so hard to do well in all aspects. If anyone needed a hug, it was this boy- but he has Cat so it all works out.

I had to include a few quirky parts here, they were too good to resist and show the dynamic of the story so well:

Yet another thing to file under “It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time” in her brain.

She peered down at her feet. No sign of the earth splitting in two. Which was a real pity because, as far as she could tell, a natural disaster was her only way out of the conversation.

I’m starting to think he doesn’t exist. He’s just a fictional name someone’s created to scam the school for a paycheck. Which for the record, would make a great story, but I won’t be able to write it because I’ll be kicked off the paper. See how this thing works?”

Her anger faded— probably because, like her eyes, it kept getting distracted by his mouth.

As a side note, the minor characters were also great, be it Cat's awesome mom the determined hippie artist with cheesy popular greeting cards, Joe the grumpy mechanic who would do anything for Alex regardless of him seeing it, Nikki the supportive pushy bright best friend as well as well as Alex's grandmother Birdie and her heartbreak brownies, all knowing information sources and wild retirement home parties. They were so cute!

This was the perfect, fun character driven teen romance that was low on the heat but high on the sweet (ok, so I realize that was a little cheesy, but still true!). This was my first book by Amanda and I can't wait to read whatever I can get my hands on by her.

​I received this title for reviewing purposes.​

No comments:

Post a Comment