Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Review: Gardenia by Kelsey Sutton

Book Blurb:

Seventeen-year-old Ivy Erickson has one month, twenty-seven days, four hours, fifty-nine minutes, and two seconds to live.

Ever since she was a child, Ivy has been able to see countdown clocks over everyone's heads indicating how long before they will die. She can't do anything about anyone else’s, nor can she do anything about her own, which will hit the zero hour before she even graduates high school.

A life cut short is tragic, but Ivy does her best to make the most of it. She struggles emotionally with her deep love for on-again, off-again boyfriend Myers Patripski. She struggles financially, working outside of school to help her mom and her sister. And she struggles to cope with the murder of her best friend, another life she couldn't save. Vanessa Donovan was killed in the woods, and everyone in town believes Ivy had something to do with it.

Then more girls start disappearing. Ivy tries to put her own life in order as she pieces together the truth of who ended Vanessa's. To save lives and for her own sanity.

The clock is always ticking. And Ivy's only hope is to expose the truth before it runs out completely.

My Review:

3 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Supernatural, Teen--

What would you do if you knew when everyone around you would die, including yourself? Would you try to help save them or pretend you didn’t know and try to act normal? But what if you had one chance to right a wrong and stop a killer? These are the questions Ivy has to face.

​This is actually the second book I have read​ where the main character has a psychic skill where she can see they days people have left until they die. I love this concept and I like seeing how the character deals with the "gift" as well as how they came to understand what they were seeing. That being said, this was not my favorite one. Don't get me wrong, the book was not bad, I have just read others more recently that I found to be more engaging. This was an ok story, the mystery was fairly solid, I just did not connect 100% to Ivy and I did not understand how or why she sees the numbers very well.

Ivy has had a rough life, and that is putting it mildly. She is pretty much poor living with her overworked waitress mom and her sister who does online strip shows for money. She has no friends because her best friend was murdered the year before and everyone thinks she had something to do with it. And lets not even get into the complicated mess that is the ex-boyfriend she pines over...and the fact she knows when everyone will die, even herself. Every time she tries to help a person, she ends up being treated like she is crazy and the person dies regardless. I just wanted to wrap her in a blanket and tell her everything would be ok because that girl needed some love.

I thought the book was interesting, leaning more towards the depressing, but I loved the psychic element and would have liked more on that part. I think others will really love this standalone teen mystery and I look forward to more from this author.

I received this title from the publisher but it had no impact on my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment