Sunday, February 19, 2017

Review: Salt (Salt #1) by Danielle Ellison

Book Blurb:

Never leave home without salt.

Penelope is a witch, part of a secret society protecting humans from demon attacks. But when she was a child, a demon killed her parents—and stole her magic. Since then, she’s been pretending to be something she’s not, using her sister’s magic to hide her own loss, to prevent being sent away.

When she’s finally given the chance to join the elite demon-hunting force, Penelope thinks that will finally change. With her sister’s help, she can squeeze through the tests and get access to the information she needs to find "her" demon. To take back what was stolen.

Then she meets Carter. He’s cute, smart, and she can borrow his magic, too. He knows her secret—but he also has one of his own.

Suddenly, Penelope’s impossible quest becomes far more complicated. Because Carter’s not telling her everything, and it’s starting to seem like the demons have their own agenda…and they’re far too interested in her.

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Romance, Supernatural, Suspense, Teen, Witches--

Penelope is hiding a secret that could cost her everything: she does not have her own magic since a demon attack when she was a child that claimed the lives of her parents. She hides the truth from everyone, hoping that she can find a way to get her powers back. When she encounters a strange boy who seems to catch her every time she needs some help, she is curious about him. But regardless of his charm, Penelope has bigger problems, such as passing the Enforcer exam without magic and finding out more about the mystery that ruined her life so long ago.

So I had wanted to read this book forever ago but I was put off at the time due to the negative reviews I saw for the book. Well, just a few weeks ago I stumbled across a very pretty cover and was lured into reading the book, without even realizing that this was the same book I cast a side a few years ago but with a cover-lift. Well, I am ever so glad that I picked this book up to read because I really enjoyed the story. It was full of well developed characters, a whole new side to witches, intense action scenes with danger and fighting, an incredible complicated mystery and a swoon worthy romance (that Penelope totally fights against). I enjoyed every minute of this story, even when I started it with trepidation.

See the pretty new cover that lured me in?

Not that there is anything wrong with the old cover, but this one is more eye catching (to me), but as a side note neither cover really describes what the book is actually about, but oh well.

I actually think that this image summed up the dynamic between Penelope and Carter the best

Sooo, to say the least, it was a very antagonistic volatile relationship, but like they say, there is passion where there is hate/violence. From the moment they first meet to all the accidental encounters along the way, they two of them had sparks shooting every time they interacted. I really enjoyed their dynamic, to say the least. But as a side note, the romance was not the main focus of the story, instead it was something that did not even become a real idea until at least half way through the book. Instead, the story was more about the complexities of the magical world building as well as the danger and mystery surrounding Penelope's past.

Overall this was a dark interesting read that kept me engaged right from the start and I feel invested in these characters. I am so glad that I had the opportunity to read this story and now I now need to get my hands on the second book in the series ASAP to see what will happen next.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment