Saturday, February 18, 2017

Review: Ghosts of Witches Past (Witches of Tower Hill, #1) by Corinne O'Flynn

Book Blurb:

Seventeen-year-old Wavy McClintock is a witch with the rare ability to see ghosts. Traumatic events with "city ghosts" when she was a child have forced Wavy into a life of seclusion. She never leaves the safety of Tower Hill, where the local ghosts are easy to spot and avoid.

Niall Tobin is a witch from an outcast family. At seventeen, he is unable to stop his parents when they strip him of his magical soul in a plot to clear their family name. When Niall escapes, he seeks out the only living witness to the murder that ruined his family. His search brings him to Tower Hill.

When a ghost appears to Wavy, revealing a mysterious symbol that sends her on a hunt for answers, she discovers Niall injured in the woods. Convinced that he will die if left alone, Wavy defies her family and agrees to help Niall.

But helping Niall means leaving the safety of her home and facing the ghosts who want nothing more than to tear her apart. As Wavy and Niall work together to learn the truth about the murder, they discover connections that haunt both their families and uncover long-buried secrets that will change their lives forever.

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Ghosts, Mystery, Supernatural, Witches--

Niall is on the run and fears for his life, taking a chance to meet with a woman who could possible save him. Waveria sees a vision of her mother in the middle of the night, but thinks it must have been a dream. But when she finds out that her mother is actually dead and Niall is the last person who saw her, she realizes that something serious and deadly is going on. Wavy must get to the bottom of what happened to her mom as well as help this total stranger because it is the right thing to do.

I was not sure what type of book this was going to be when I started reading. I loved the cover and was intrigued by the synopsis so I was excited when I was given the chance to read the book. The story ended up being a supernatural mystery, where two teens are thrown together to try and unravel a family tragedy that may cost Niall his life. I can honestly say that I was surprised by the twists the story took and the end was not at all what I thought it would be, in a good way. The story had spooky things such as ghosts (the ghost sound was probably the scariest sound ever!), lies, hidden memories, and tons of danger woven throughout the pages. I enjoy mysteries that keep me guessing and this was one.

I liked that this was not a romance, even though the two main characters are the opposite gender and thrown together non-stop for a few high intensity days. Instead, the two took a chance to trust each other (with their lives) and my favorite part of the book was the relationship that developed between Wavy and Niall. Sure, there is a potential for them to be more later on, if there was another book, but here they just got to know each other and be friends. It was refreshing to have a teen story that was more about the mystery than about the romance.

This was my first book by this author and I would love to read more because I enjoy the character and the complex detailed world she created. I don't know if this will a standalone (which it totally could be since everything was wrapped up!) or the first in a series, but I would love to see what happens next to Wavy and Niall.

I received this title from the author in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment