Monday, November 28, 2016

Review: Pasadena by Sherri L. Smith

Book Blurb:

Bad things happen everywhere. Even in the land of sun and roses.

When Jude’s best friend is found dead in a swimming pool, her family calls it an accident. Her friends call it suicide. But Jude calls it what it is: murder. And someone has to pay.

Now everyone is a suspect—family and friends alike. And Jude is digging up the past like bones from a shallow grave. Anything to get closer to the truth. But that’s the thing about secrets. Once they start turning up, nothing is sacred. And Jude’s got a few skeletons of her own.

My Review:

2 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Teen--

Jude is on vacation when she gets a phone call that her best friend is dead, her death ruled a suicide. Jude flies home to try and put together the missing pieces of what could have happened to Maggie, only to discover that something doesn’t add up. She pursues the truth that somebody killed Maggie, and all of Maggie’s friends are hiding things.

This is the second book I have read this month about a girl’s best friend being murdered and said girl then must look at her friends as suspects. Well, the first one I read was better than this one, unfortunately. I can honestly say that I did not enjoy this book, and when I got to the end and found out the truth, I did not feel better about the situation, instead I felt like I wasted my time. The book brought up many hard topics such as suicide, depression, sexual abuse, abortions, rape…just to name a few. This review will be vague and short because I don’t like being negative and I don’t want to give away spoilers for those who want to read the book.

The story dealt with a very depressed girl who can’t function without her co-dependent best friend, and no other relationship exists to her (or she is not capable of creating any). Jude was a mess, and as the book progresses you find out a little more about why she is the way she is, but to sum it up, she is an empty shell of a person. I kept hoping that when I got to the end she would grow as a person and have some sort of revelation, but alas no, she is still an empty shell. It aggravated me that even when the truth was out, it felt like nothing happened or would change, everything was just such a downer. I feel like you might need to take an antidepressant just to read this book.

Soo, anyway, I was not a fan of the story but I am sure that someone else may really like it. The one positive aspect I found was that there was a kind of film noir style aspect to the how the story unfolded and how she did her detective work that I found interesting.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment