Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Review: It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover

Book Blurb:

SOMETIMES THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU IS THE ONE WHO HURTS YOU THE MOST

Lily hasn't always had it easy, but that's never stopped her from working hard for the life she wants. She's come a long way from the small town in Maine where she grew up - she graduated from college, moved to Boston, and started her own business. So when she feels a spark with a gorgeous neurosurgeon named Ryle Kincaid, everything in Lily's life suddenly seems almost too good to be true.

Ryle is assertive, stubborn, and maybe even a little arrogant. He's also sensitive, brilliant, and has a total soft spot for Lily, but Ryle's complete aversion to relationships is disturbing.

As questions about her new relationship overwhelm her, so do thoughts of Atlas Corrigan - her first love and a link to the past she left behind. He was her kindred spirit, her protector. When Atlas suddenly reappears, everything Lily has built with Ryle is threatened.

With this bold and deeply personal novel, Colleen Hoover delivers a heart-wrenching story that breaks exciting new ground for her as a writer. It Ends With Us is an unforgettable tale of love that comes at the ultimate price.

This book contains graphic scenes and very sensitive subject matter.

My Review:

4.5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Romance-

I had no idea what this book was about (except romance, but that was a given) before I started reading. I love Hoover and her writings and I was pretty sure that this would be emotional as per the norm, but GAH I could never have predicted the level of emotional turmoil I went through. I was reading this book in public on breaks at a work convention and I was pretty sure I was going to burst into tears right then and there with everyone around me. I was completely, shockingly, taken off guard by the story. This topic is fairly near and dear to my heart and reading the afterwords by the author really hit home as to my family growing up as well. Slammed has always been my favorite Hoover book (as well as one of my favorite books in general) but I think this is a pretty close second, which is surprising based on how much of an emotional roller coaster ride I took.

I really don't want to give too much away about the story since the synopsis is fairly vague and what actually occurs is so freaking hug and surprising, so this review will be to the point and non-spoilery. The story was about coming to terms with your feelings and making hard choices even when it hurt. There were so many times I wanted to cheer Lily along, give her a huge hug, and other times I wanted to shake her (but I had to try and put myself in her situation to understand). Time and time again the story brings home the point that the right choice is not always the easy thing to do. The title could not have been more perfect to match the story. And yes, this was a love triangle of sorts with two very different men. Ryle was a really complex interesting character, but Atlas had my heart from the moment he first interacted with Lily in High School. Reader be warned, heartbreak is inevitable. My absolute favorite part of the book though was the relationship that Lily had with Alyssa, one that could not be broken regardless of life.

The story sticks to me, even days after finishing it, the heartache feels real even while sitting here writing this review. Hoover has a way of breaking down my emotional barriers (which are very strong and deep, and I am not a crier even a little) and ripping out my heart. I am not sure I can take another beating like this again, yet I know without fail I will gladly sign up to read any and everything Ms. Hoover writes.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment