Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Review: The Wolven Mark (Hidden Legends, University of Sorcery #1) by Megan Linski

Book Blurb:

Finding your soulmate can be deadly…

Emma

I never believed magic was real– until I used it to kill a werewolf.

Not long after, a letter arrived from a supernatural school for fae, claiming I was a sorceress. I’m forced into a world where dragons breathe fire, griffins fly, alicorns battle and wolves hunt monsters. At this academy, sorceresses are bound to alpha shifter mates, and pagan rituals are used to connect with the gods.

I know my mate is somewhere within the school… along with those who want my blood. A cult of dark magic is following my every move, and I have to master my powers before they come for me…

Ethan

I never meant to kill my own father.

What happened led to the loss of my leg, and my reputation as heir to the throne. I found a way to pay for my sins by playing the role of Prince Ethan during the day, and a vigilante hunting cultists by night. Keeping my secret identity hidden has been far more difficult than I imagined.

But now my kingdom is at stake. A new leader will be chosen through the King’s Contest, a fatal competition where contestants battle for power and, more often than not, die in the process. Without a mate, I cannot compete for the crown.

I formed an unbreakable bond with Emma upon first sight. But I have to keep my love a secret. Emma can’t know she’s my true mate; otherwise, she’ll be in more danger than ever before.

But the King’s Contest is rapidly approaching, and if I don’t choose a mate soon, the fate of my country will fall into the wrong hands…

**

A Court of Thorns and Roses meets The Witcher in this fae academy series. Fall for alpha bad boy kings and enter a world of royal deception in this enchanting addition to the Hidden Legends universe.

Find out more about The Wolven Mark on Goodreads

My Review:

5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Faeries, Heart-Wrenching, Romance, Royal-Court, Supernatural, Suspense, Witches--

I have read a lot of books by this author by this point, this being at least my third series from her and there are two things I have found in all her books- 1)tons of heart-ripping-out-angst due to the emotional turmoil the characters face, and 2)that her endings will always leave me shocked and desperate for more. This book was no exception! Both our main characters were put through the wringer in this story (and me right along with them I was so invested) and after reading the synopsis for the next book it does not seem like things are looking up- and I am so there for this!

I am a HUGE fan of the magical academy genre (trope?) and this was a perfect example of one. I love the world building that takes place here, a whole secret country controlled by this particular magic group that spawned from the fae and can change to animal form- and can earn wings! There was a class system between creatures, wings, royalty and half breeds and it was so complicated and wonderful.

The book was dual narrated by the male and female love interests, which is just about the best way for a romance story- which this was not really (unless you call angst romance) but instead a mystery action supernatural. Anyway, we have Ethan who was groomed from birth to be the next king of his people but a terrible event cost him his father, his leg and his place in society. And then we have Emma, a girl raised in the human world, knowing nothing about this supernatural community, battling a chronic illness and having strange things thrust at her at once. The dynamic between them was captivating and the banter was so fun (the banter between all the characters was great, FYI).

Overall this was just what I wanted and I have a terrible book hangover I am not sure how to recover from. I will gladly read anything by this author my only complaint is that I need to wait for her to write more stories to feed my addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment