Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Review: The Coven's Secret (Hidden Legends: College of Witchcraft #1) by Alicia Rades

Book Blurb:

Nadine

I thought witches were myth—until my parents died and Grammy invited me to live with her in a secret town protected by magic. Turns out I’m a witch, and my powers are set to awaken on my nineteenth birthday.

I’m sent to a magic academy, where I’ll learn about the coven and prepare to meet our goddess. It’s there that I meet Lucas, a sexy warlock with an attitude. I shouldn’t be attracted to a guy like him, but he’s a puzzle I can’t figure out—and I find that beyond irresistible.

But there’s more on my mind than Lucas. If I don’t pass the goddess’s test to awaken my magic, I’ll be banished from the coven—and lose the only family I have left.

Lucas

I wasn’t supposed to inherit death magic, but here I am. They call me the Reaper’s Apprentice. I’m tasked with carrying the last thoughts of the dead to the afterlife when I die. It’s a burden that grows heavier by the day.

Most thoughts are more depressing than I care to admit… except for one. I don’t know what it means, until Nadine shows up in town. She’s the one ray of hope to an otherwise dark gift, and I quickly find myself falling for her.

But we can’t be together—because there’s a curse upon all reapers, and if Nadine falls for me, she’ll die.

Find out more about the book on Goodreads

My Review:

5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Ghosts, Heart-Wrenching, Mystery, Romance, Supernatural, Suspense, Urban Fantasy, Witches--

This was dark, mysterious, drama and angst filled, a touch romantic, tons magical and I can't wait for the next book so I can jump back into this world that I was not ready to leave! I have read and enjoyed other books by this author but this is now hands down my favorite story by her! Imagine if the fantastic world of Harry Potter with a magical school (with a doctor who flair where it is bigger on the inside than the outside) and fun edible treats had a love baby with the dark and complicated world of the movie the craft and a forbidden romance!

Yes please to all the above.

I personally love short chapters that hook me and make me read "just one more" until I inadvertently finish the book, but instead the author had less number of chapter but they were longer in length (usually over 30 minutes per my ereader) which took me longer overall to get through the story than I normally would. But that being said, I devoured the story, savoring each piece of the puzzle, slowly putting them together to get the cohesive whole. Ok, now that I realized I just rambled, know that this was a slow burn story that gives a little tidbit at a time and take your time so you will not miss anything!

The story is dual narrated by both Nadine and Lucas, two characters with very different view points. Nadine knows nothing about magic or the Coven that her family belongs to, instead she is just a regular girl trying not to drown in loss and battling a potentially debilitating chronic illness. She is sassy and strong, trying her best when life seems to be pushing her down. I loved experiencing her wonder when learning about her new magical world and seeing how she fought her own personal battles. Lucas grew up in the middle of the magic but recently life has been hard, dealing with his own loss and the lonely direction his magical path has taken. He deals in death and has a hard time seeing any light in his life, only gray shadows of mourning. I loved watching them slowly develop a relationship, from strangers to the best of friends to a romance that shouldn't be. Oh and did I mention that this gets steamy?? There was no sex but it was hot at times anyways, just saying.

This is the perfect read for anyone who lives forbidden love, paranormal romances, messy relationship dynamics, mystery and danger- and cats (there are a lot of cats in the story!). Just know that I loved this story and will count down the days until I can read the next book!.

No comments:

Post a Comment