Monday, December 9, 2019

Review: Deadly Little Scandals (Debutantes #2) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Book Blurb:

"Think of the White Gloves like the Junior League-by way of Skull and Bones?"

Reluctant debutante Sawyer Taft joined Southern high society for one reason and one reason alone: to identify and locate her biological father. But the answers Sawyer found during her debutante year only left her with more questions and one potentially life-ruining secret. When her cousin Lily ropes her into pledging a mysterious, elite, and all-female secret society called the White Gloves, Sawyer soon discovers that someone in the group's ranks may have the answers she's looking for. Things are looking up... until Sawyer and the White Gloves make a disturbing discover near the family's summer home--and uncover a twisted secret, decades in the making.

No one is quite who they seem to be.

Find out more about Deadly Little Scandals on Goodreads

My Review:

5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Suspense, Teen--

Sawyer thought she had experienced it all when her estranged grandmother coerced her to join the debutante season, but really she was just getting started. Sawyer is now keeping secrets from her cousin/best friend, not talking to her mama, has no idea what she wants to do with her future and refuses to be in a romantic relationship regardless of her heart. Add on the fact she is going through initiation to take part in a secret society, and her summer is going to be rocky.

This was fabulous, everything that I could have hoped for and more and I would not change a thing! I am fan-girling hard right now and want to binge read everything written by the author right this minute to keep my happy glow feeling going. With some sort of voodoo magic (I assume) the author was able to mix humor, mystery, drama, suspense, a tiny bit of romance, and lots of southern charm and manners to create one of the best books I have read this year. I have loved each book that I have read by this author, but this one takes the cake. Just when you think you know what is going on, the rug was ripped out and something new and shocking was added in it's place and I never even had a chance to see what was coming and I loved it. A mystery that you can't predict is the best kind, and add some super random and well placed humor and it is basically gold, in my opinion.

Based on the ending, I kind of feel like the story was wrapped up perfectly so I have no idea if there will be a third book in this series. I really really hope there will be (for purely selfish reasons mind you), but this was a great ending if the series is concluded. I am not disappointed at all and loved all the characters that I got the opportunity to know. I especially loved the relationship between Sawyer and the three other girls in her debutante circle, how they have each other's backs and no situation is too big that those girls can't take on. While (multiple) mystery is the main plot focus, the relationships between Sawyer and her people took main focus to me. And while I always love romance in my stories, romance took a way far backseat to familial relationships and the overall importance of made families. Overall this was a fantastic sequel to one of my favorite reads from last year, just as good as I hoped it would be (and my hopes were incredibly high). Pick this series up if you like twisty mysteries, girl power, secret societies, lies and blackmail, as well as the best southern charm around. I am pretty sure I am going to walk around saying "bless your heart" to everyone for weeks now.

No comments:

Post a Comment