Sunday, October 13, 2019

Review: Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox #2) by Julie Kagawa

Book Blurb:

One thousand years ago, a wish was made to the Harbinger of Change and a sword of rage and lightning was forged. Kamigoroshi. The Godslayer. It had one task: to seal away the powerful demon Hakaimono.

Now he has broken free.

Kitsune shapeshifter Yumeko has one task: to take her piece of the ancient and powerful scroll to the Steel Feather temple in order to prevent the summoning of the Harbinger of Change, the great Kami Dragon who will grant one wish to whomever holds the Scroll of a Thousand Prayers. But she has a new enemy now. The demon Hakaimono, who for centuries was trapped in a cursed sword, has escaped and possessed the boy she thought would protect her, Kage Tatsumi of the Shadow Clan.

Hakaimono has done the unthinkable and joined forces with the Master of Demons in order to break the curse of the sword and set himself free. To overthrow the empire and cover the land in darkness, they need one thing: the Scroll of a Thousand Prayers. As the paths of Yumeko and the possessed Tatsumi cross once again, the entire empire will be thrown into chaos.

Find out more about the book on Goodreads

My Review:

5 Out of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Ghosts, Historical, Royal-Court, Supernatural, Suspense, Witches--

I had a really long winded, in my totally biased opinion, wonderful and insightful review written and I was about to post it when my computer crashed and it was lost forever and I don't have the will to attempt to write it again. So instead, you get the the abbreviated to the point review.

Soul of the Sword picks up immediately after book 1 Shadow of the Fox (you can read my review of that HERE) ends, this is in no way a standalone novel but must be read in order for the story to make sense.

The powerful demon Hakaimono has escaped his thousand year imprisonment of the sword and has now taken over the body of demon slayer Kage Tatsumi. Yumeko will do anything she can to help reclaim Tatsumi's soul, even when the odds are not in her favor. With her ragtag group of friends Yumeko will brave the unknown to try and take on the the ultimate demon and hopefully try and save the world in the process.

You all know my love of everything Julie Kagawa and this was no exception. She had set the bar very high with Shadow of the Fox, it was everything I did not know I was missing in my life- including some fantastic kitsune action, which has now moved up to being one of my most favorite supernatural creatures. Well, I was a little concerned that Soul of the Sword would not be as good as what I was hoping it would, but I was so wrong. It was even better, full of action and danger, some super cool new worlds and paranormal encounters, as well as some great relationship dynamics to investigate, some I rooted for and others that surprised me in the best way. There were so many feels in this book including some hardcore angst, as well as character growth for Yumeko that I enjoyed. There was something for everyone in this nonstop adventure.

There will be more more book in the series and I just can't wait for it! The ending to this book was such a huge mess and the status of the world is uncertain, leaving me worried and on the edge of my seat. As a side note, the cover for the third book, Night of the Dragon, is just as beautiful as the first two and it is one of my most anticipated reads for 2020!

No comments:

Post a Comment