Friday, September 27, 2019

Review: American Royals (American Royals #1) by Katharine McGee

Book Blurb:

What if America had a royal family?

When America won the Revolutionary War, its people offered General George Washington a crown. Two and a half centuries later, the House of Washington still sits on the throne.

As Princess Beatrice gets closer to becoming America's first queen regnant, the duty she has embraced her entire life suddenly feels stifling. Nobody cares about the spare except when she's breaking the rules, so Princess Samantha doesn't care much about anything, either . . . except the one boy who is distinctly off-limits to her. And then there's Samantha's twin, Prince Jefferson. If he'd been born a generation earlier, he would have stood first in line for the throne, but the new laws of succession make him third. Most of America adores their devastatingly handsome prince . . . but two very different girls are vying to capture his heart.

Find out more about the book on Goodreads

My Review:

4 Out OF 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Heart-Wrenching, Romance, Royal-Court, Teen--

If you are a fan of the author's Thousandth Floor series then rest assured that you will most likely enjoy American Royals. I on the other hand was not a big fan of her previous books but I was interested in the premise enough to go ahead and pick this book up. I can easily say that I really enjoyed American Royals. It was an alternate world, yet with real and relatable emotions. Keep in mind there there was not a whole lot of plot/action, this is more a character driven story where the drama and interpersonal relationships make the book. I did notice that there were a LOT of the same personality types and relationship dramas as seen in The Thousandth Floor series, but the characters here (minus Daphne, she just might be the devil) were likable and at heart good people in tough situations.

If you like ensemble casts, then this is the book for you because it was narrated by four very different girls who each play a role in the drama that unfolds on the pages. Beatrice is the first princess, in line for the throne as the oldest child, which will make her the first Queen in American history. Beatrice has never been allowed to make a mistake or have a dissenting opinion, instead she was basically the royal family and America's puppet- that is, until a certain guard came into the picture and showed her what being seen really feels like. I feel a little like she was one note and bland, a little too perfect and not a real person so she was harder for me to connect to. Sam, the "extra" princess has spent her whole life acting out to get some smidgen of attention from her parents aka the royal family. She and her sister have noting in common, until they do, in the form of Teddy. Side note, I loved Sam so so much! She was my favorite character and had such character growth in this book, I rooted for her even when nothing seemed to go right. Nina is Sam's best friend, a commoner who has not told her new friends she knows Sam so she can have a chance to have a normal college experience- but is love worth fighting for? Nina was the nice down to earth point of view, the sweet girl who was sucked into a world she could never be prepared for even when she grew up on the fringe. And that brings me to Daphne, the devil, or rather the ex-girlfriend to the prince (Sam's twin) who will do ANYTHING to make sure she gets a ring on her finger by Jeff. I hated her so much and her evilness never seemed to stop! I really hope she gets what is coming to her in the next book.

I feel like I went through the emotional ringer with this book, every time it seemed like things were going to work out, utter chaos and destruction would follow. Heads up for those who thought this was a standalone (me, I thought this was a standalone!) the ending is a HUGE terrible cliffhanger and I have no idea how anything will resolve in the next book. This is the perfect read for those who love all things royalty and drama, and count me in to pick up the next book whenever it is available because I need to know how this train-wreck will end.

No comments:

Post a Comment