Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Review: Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson #11) by Patricia Briggs

Book Blurb:

In this powerful entry in the #1 New York Times bestselling series, Mercy Thompson must face a deadly enemy to defend all she loves...

My name is Mercedes Athena Thompson Hauptman, and I am a car mechanic.

And a coyote shapeshifter.

And the mate of the Alpha of the Columbia Basin werewolf pack.

Even so, none of that would have gotten me into trouble if, a few months ago, I hadn't stood upon a bridge and taken responsibility for the safety of the citizens who lived in our territory. It seemed like the thing to do at the time. It should have only involved hunting down killer goblins, zombie goats, and an occasional troll. Instead, our home was viewed as neutral ground, a place where humans would feel safe to come and treat with the fae.

The reality is that nothing and no one is safe. As generals and politicians face off with the Gray Lords of the fae, a storm is coming and her name is Death.

But we are pack, and we have given our word.

We will die to keep it.

Find out more about the book on Goodreads

My Review:

5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Faeries, Ghosts, Mystery, Supernatural, Suspense, Urban Fantasy, Vampires, Werewolves, Witches, Zombies--

Mercy and her friends are back in another fantastic installment of the Mercy Thompson series. Make sure to read this series in order because each book builds on the previous, be it the world building or the character dynamics.

I really loved this story and I could not, would not put it down. Where as with the last book it was super intense with Mercy as a captive of some scary European vampires or on the run alone, this was more of a slow burn installment. There was still a lot of action, it was just not in your face, more subtle innuendos and blink and you missed it. I really liked having this break from everyone out to get Mercy- for once a character who is usually seen as strong and capable was the target for the new kind of crazy. Mercy gets to be the hero this time and I appreciate that.

I also loved getting a slower look into the relationship dynamics now that the whole world is upside down. Humans know what is really going bump in the night and not everyone is happy with the discover, be it human, wolf or fey. And there is the pack dynamic, where Mercy and the wolves are still trying to decide where everyone ranks and can be comfortable with. It also didn't hurt that Zee and Tad (one of my absolute favorite side characters that is never around enough in my opinion) had a big role here, and the way that Mercy is family to them both made my heart happy.

I loved having Stefan back in Mercy's corner, having the tension between them made me sad since he was one of her very first friends. OOH, and WULF! yep, he gets capitalized because dang! I really hope there will be more crazy from him in the future. And Coyote always makes things more interesting, but usually not for Mercy, just for me. See, this book was like a family reunion- you know, if everyone in your family was a potential monster that may or may not want to kill you...

No comments:

Post a Comment