Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Review: Huntress (Life After #1) by Julie Hall

Book Blurb:

No one’s afterlife is as dispiriting as Audrey’s―at least that’s what she believes after waking up dead without her memories and being promptly assigned to hunt demons for the rest of eternity. She’s convinced God’s made a cosmic mistake; after all, she’d rather discuss the color of her nails than break them on angelic weapons.

It doesn’t help that her trainer, Logan, is as infuriating as he is attractive. And just when Audrey and Logan appear close to developing an amicable relationship, a decision made under duress pushes their hearts in a direction neither of them saw coming.

Despite her sub-par fighting abilities, an ancient weapon of unparalleled power chooses Audrey as its wielder, attracting the cautious gazes of her fellow hunters and the attention of Satan himself. With Satan’s eyes now fixed on Audrey, a battle for the safety of the living looms in the shadows.

Find out more about the book on Goodreads

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Audrey wakes up- to find herself dead. With no memories of her past or what happened to her, she tries her best to fit into this strange new afterworld she now part of. When she is assigned the job of being a Hunter to hunt down the demons roaming earth, she is pretty sure she is in the wrong place. No matter how hard she trains, it seems that she has no real fighting skills, but he biggest talent is making her stoic trainer Logan irritated. But what Audrey does not know is that she has a larger role in this world than she ever could have guessed- and war is coming.

I have seriously been eyeballing Julie's books for forever, I even know the firsts in multiple series, I just had not had the chance to read one yet so when the opportunity to listen to Huntress occurred I was so excited. The pacing of the story made this very easy to get lost in the plot, I ending up reading it in a day because I was so curious about everything and I wanted answers (patience is not my strong suit). I rooted for Audrey and her headstrong ways and I was crossing my fingers for a romance that seems pretty doomed at the moment (but I have hope!). The world Julie made was really interesting, being almost magic while at the same time having the undercurrent of religion and faith, and her version of demons was scary and realistic. Overall this was a great start to an otherworldy urban fantasy-esque series.

I listened to the audiobook and I think the narrator did a great job bringing Audrey to life. She gave her personality and the sass I really appreciated, making Audrey seem like a real (undead) person I could connect to. Also, she did a great job of giving the side characters distinctive voices so I always knew who was talking and I love narrators who can make it feel like a full performance. After listening to Afterlife, I would highly recommend it as an audiobook and I would love to listen to the rest of the series.

And yes, this is a series where only a little bit of Audrey's fate has been revealed. I have so many ideas and theories as to what is really going on with Audrey, only some of them I have been right about and others only hints that I need to learn more about. Julie does a great job of leaving just enough bread crumbs to lead the reader in a certain direction without giving almost anything away and making me desperate for more. This is my first read by Julie but I have already added all her other series to my wishlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment