Monday, May 13, 2019

Review: A Knight in Distress by Barbara Russell

Book Blurb:

A knight in distress. A damsel in shining armor. A city to protect.

Knights are supposed to rescue damsels. So when Nathair, a knight in training, is rescued by the princess he's supposed to protect, he's annoyed. And when the princess proves she can fight like a knight? Well, that's enough for a boy to think about a career change.

Find out more about the book on Goodreads

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Historical, Retelling, Romance, Royal-Court, Steampunk, Supernatural, Suspense, Teen, Witches--

Nathair has been training for years to be a knight, but with his poor grades and recent family issues, he is not super positive about the outcome. With only the trial left to prove he can be a knight, he is willing to give it his all. But he never expected his quest to be so dangerous, a mission that actual knights have already failed. But the princess needs saving so off Nathair goes. But little does he know, the princess has some secrets hidden up her sleeves...

This was a case of cover love at first sight. I am so enamored with this cover, it appeals to me in so many ways, I knew I was going to read the book. Add in the synopsis about the princess saving herself and it was a no-brainer that I needed this story. After I started reading, I realized that this is the second book I have read by Barbara and once again she excels at world building. Regardless of the genre or plot, her worlds are masterpieces filled with lush details and fun quirks, in case this case such as ALL THINGS STEAMPUNK, mechanical round table knights, dragon air express flights, and hints of modern flair such as rooting for your favorite sports team mixed in with historical settings. This is hands down the best King Arthur retelling I have ever encountered, with a unique personality and plot but with touches of the original story peppered throughout.

The story was mainly an action adventure with danger, battles, political intrigue, magic, dragons- and just a touch of romance. I really liked how Bryhannon has magic and fighting skills that no lady should possess, potentially making her undesirable, but instead Nathair points out her abnormalities and then basically shrugs it off or even appreciates her more. Nathair's moral compass points strong and true in the face of every encounter and I just loved that about him (Bry's was a little more skewed, but what do you expect when being yourself is a crime?). Watching the two of them be allowed to be themselves and the slow build of romances was perfect.

I really enjoyed this adventure and I look forward to what will come next for Nathair and Bryhannon.

2 comments:

  1. Many thanks for taking the time to read my novel, I really appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete