Monday, May 6, 2019

Review: The Dysasters (The Dysasters #1) by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast

Book Blurb:

Foster Stewart knows she's different. Her life has never been "normal." Talking to plants and controlling cloud formations aren't things most seventeen year olds are into. Tate "Nighthawk" Taylor is perfect. Star quarterback and all around dreamy boy next door he never thought about his "extra" abilities. What quarterback wouldn't want night vision? That's not weird, right? It's cool!

But on the night of their first meeting a deadly tornado brings them together and awakens their true abilities - the power to control the element air. Unbeknown to Tate and Foster, they are the first in a group of teens that were genetically manipulated before birth to bond with the elements. Which truly sucks for Foster, as she has to face the fact that Dr. Rick Stewart, her beloved scientist father, betrayed her and now wants to use her and the others for his own nefarious world domination plot.

Foster and Tate must stop Dr. Stewart and his minions before he destroys their lives and the world.

Find out more about the book on Goodreads

My Review:

3.5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Romance, Supernatural, Suspense, Teen--

Not gonna lie, but I spent a majority of the time for the first half of the book being super confused and having no idea what is going on. The reader is dropped into the story (which is usually exciting), basically in the middle of the action and with no description or real known plot. I really really tried to connect to the story and the characters but it was super hard. Even by the time I was 75% through with the story, I still was not completely certain what was going on or the overall point. A good majority of the book, the two main characters are hiding away...doing something...maybe researching (for something?)...dating(?)...which felt a little like the book was at a standstill- except for some random bursts of interesting elemental magic usage. Two secondary characters were introduced near the end and they were incredibly interesting, pulling me in the way the previous characters could not so I would love to find out what comes for them next.

The story is narrated by Foster, Tate and then occasionally the evil adults searching for the teens. About half way through, a few other perspectives are added into the mix. Foster was spunky, quirky and full of attitude. She was also at times a little bit unnecessarily mean and aloof- most of the time not on purpose, maybe could be attributed to her lack of overall social skills and loner personality. Her voice was the most dominant in the story and she was hands down the most developed character. I actually liked Tate better though, with his sweet disposition, charm and easy way of accepting basically everything, but I do not feel like I really knew him under the surface.

Also there was a romantic relationship that occurred...somewhere off page... that I wish I got to see unfold. We meet the two characters in a hostile situation that becomes a dangerous, life changing situation where they basically hate each other. And then next you know they are "best friends" and then romantically linked, but we never get to see them develop a romantic relationship, it is kind of just assumed since they are single, heterosexual teens in close living quarters and a dangerous situation (and as per the movie Speed, romances made in high stress situations never last). I get why Foster likes Tate, he was pretty and sweet, but Foster was a prickly cactus generally.

I think this was one of the books I most anticipated being released this year so maybe my expectations were too high when I jumped into the story. My confusion over almost everything aside, I would read the next book to see if there is more coming because I think this is an interesting idea and there could be potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment