Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Review: Little White Lies (Debutantes #1) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Book Blurb:

"I'm not saying this is Sawyer's fault," the prim and proper one said delicately. "But."

Eighteen-year-old auto mechanic Sawyer Taft did not expect her estranged grandmother to show up at her apartment door and offer her a six-figure contract to participate in debutante season. And she definitely never imagined she would accept. But when she realizes that immersing herself in her grandmother's "society" might mean discovering the answer to the biggest mystery of her life-her father's identity-she signs on the dotted line and braces herself for a year of makeovers, big dresses, bigger egos, and a whole lot of bless your heart. The one thing she doesn't expect to find is friendship, but as she's drawn into a group of debutantes with scandalous, dangerous secrets of their own, Sawyer quickly discovers that her family isn't the only mainstay of high society with skeletons in their closet. There are people in her grandmother's glittering world who are not what they appear, and no one wants Sawyer poking her nose into the past. As she navigates the twisted relationships between her new friends and their powerful parents, Sawyer's search for the truth about her own origins is just the beginning.

Set in the world of debutante balls, grand estates and rolling green hills, Little White Lies combines a charming setting, a classic fish-out-of-water story, and the sort of layered mystery only author Jennifer Lynn Barnes can pull off.

Find out more about the book at Goodreads

My Review:

5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Heart-Wrenching, Hysterical, Mystery, Suspense, Teen--

Oh my geez, this is such a fantastic book! Right from the first page where four girls in ball gowns are arrested, I knew that this was the book for me. This was hysterical and intriguing and interesting and all the other amazing adjectives that I can't think of at this moment. I have always enjoyed Jennifer's books so I wanted to read this when I first discovered it, regardless of what the content was (which I had no idea). Well, let me tell you that this was the best mix of southern charm, mystery (two mysteries to be exact!) and humor. The best news I discovered after I finished reading and was in a sad, dejected book hangover, wondering how I was suppose to move on was that this is the first book in a series! There will be more Sawyer, so I don't need to move on!

"Splendid is good, good is okay, and okay and fine are horrendous."

The delivery of the story was great, starting with the perspective of a rookie cop completely in over his head with four female prisoners in ball gowns and then switching to 9 month month prior from Sawyer's point of view. The story keeps going back in forth from the police officer with his criminals in present time to all the events that occurred to Sawyer over the months leading to the present situation. It was perfect, but at this point I might be fangirling.

I loved that there was almost an instant relationship between Sawyer and her cousin Lilly. I was a little concerned that they would hate each other or there would be hostility, but that was not this book. Instead they became allies and then tentatively friends and then good friends and family and I loved watching them interact. This was a great book for female friendships, they had each other's backs and jumped right into mischief together, no questions asked. PS can I have more hysterical Boone and totally clueless sweet Sadie Grace next book??

I will say that the last third of the book took a darker more sad turn than what I was expecting. I have no idea how everything will continue and I am all twisted up in knots over what will happen to Sawyer next. That being said, I will 100% be back for more in this world and with Sawyer (who I love).

No comments:

Post a Comment