Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Review: Busted by Gina Ciocca

Book Blurb:

Marisa wasn’t planning to be a snoop for hire—until she accidentally caught her best friend’s boyfriend making out with another girl. Now her reputation for sniffing out cheaters has spread all over school, and Marisa finds herself the reluctant queen of busting two-timing boys.

But when ex-frenemy Kendall asks her to spy on her boyfriend, TJ, Marisa quickly discovers the girl TJ might be falling for is Marisa herself. And worse yet? The feelings are quickly becoming mutual. Now, she’s stuck spying on a “mystery girl” and the spoken-for guy who just might be the love of her life…

Find out more about the book on Goodreads

------

------

------

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Romance, Teen--

When Mia inadvertently catches her best friend's boyfriend cheating on camera, Marisa is suddenly in high demand from other girls to catch their boyfriends in the act. When she runs into someone from her past, she has a hard time saying no and ends up stalking the girl's boyfriend to see if he is cheating. What she finds is that she may have feelings for the boy and that nothing is as it seems.

Who knew that this was not just a cute contemporary romance about miscommunication like I had anticipated? But instead I found myself reading a super complicated, convoluted (and I mean that in the best of ways!), YA mystery with a subtle hint of romance. The light-hearted read I expected turned into a pretty messy mystery endeavor for Marisa, with some surprising twists thrown in to keep you guessing and caught up in the story.

My favorite part of the book was the relationship dynamic between the characters. I love the relationship between Marisa and her best friend Charley as well as between Marisa and her younger brother Nick. Marisa and Charley and Nick all that that unquestionable bond, the call in the middle night and bail you out of jail no questions asked kind of thing. I loved how they watched out for each other without doubts, full of love and support and mayhem. I liked Marisa's love interest well enough but he was not as developed as I was hoping for and they did not seem to spend enough time together on the pages for me to really be invested in him.

Busted is perfect for fans of more light-hearted YA mysteries like the Heist Society series or the show Veronica Mars, with a teen sleuth. This was my first book by Gina and enjoyed her characters and the plot so I would love to read more from her in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment