Thursday, November 29, 2018

Review: One Small Thing by Erin Watt

Book Blurb:

Beth’s life hasn’t been the same since her sister died. Her parents try to lock her down, believing they can keep her safe by monitoring her every move. When Beth sneaks out to a party one night and meets the new guy in town, Chase, she’s thrilled to make a secret friend. It seems a small thing, just for her.

Only Beth doesn’t know how big her secret really is…

Fresh out of juvie and determined to start his life over, Chase has demons to face and much to atone for, including his part in the night Beth’s sister died. Beth, who has more reason than anyone to despise him, is willing to give him a second chance. A forbidden romance is the last thing either of them planned for senior year, but the more time they spend together, the deeper their feelings get.

Now Beth has a choice to make—follow the rules, or risk tearing everything apart…again.

You can learn more about the book on Goodreads

-----

-----

-----

-----

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Heart-Wrenching, Romance, Teen--

Beth is tired of all the rules and restrictions her parents enforce on her since her sister's death years before. When she has the opportunity to go to an out of town party and just be herself, not the girl with the dead sister, she jumps at it. Deciding to go out of her comfort zone even more, she finds a cute boy at the party and decides to pursue him. Little does Beth know, the one boy she seems drawn to is the same boy responsible for her sister's death. As she asks herself what is wrong with her to feel drawn to this boy, everyone in her life and town want him gone.

I have been a sucker for the Erin Watt ladies since I read When It's Real the beginning of this year and then got the opportunity to meet them and entirely embarrass myself gushing about just how perfect that book was. Seriously, if you have not read When It's Real and you like contemporary romances, stop what you are doing and get a copy STAT! In case you can't tell, it was a fabulous book. Anyway, when I saw that they had a new standalone YA contemporary read coming out, I was ecstatic.

“You waiting for me is the one small thing that will keep me going.”

I love the idea of "one small thing", it is such a powerful concept and something I think everyone should do (and the most perfect use of a title if I have ever seen one!). If we can find one thing every day to be happy about, that makes life worth while.

This was a hot mess of a book and I could not stop reading. I really had no idea what direction Beth was going to take next and I was on pins and needles to discover it. This was such a heartbreaking read, full of forbidden love, grief, forgiveness, personal growth, all kinds of love, hate, angst, assault, abuse and all other things in between- this was not an easy read and not a PG book, fyi. I feel like I was emotionally wrung out, but I would not change anything about it and I want to force all my friends to read it now. I am for sure on an emotional book hangover and I have no idea what to do with myself or what I want to read next.

If you want an emotional read in the best of ways, this should be your next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment