Thursday, October 11, 2018

Review: The Curse of the Fallen by Colleen Halverson

Book Blurb:

Catherine O’Halloran is going to die. Twenty years ago, her sister heard a terrible wail, a relentless keening that no one else could hear. Catherine didn’t believe her—until she saw a banshee crying at their bedroom window the night her sister died. Now Catherine has begun to hear the same wailing, and she knows it’s only a matter of time before the same dark specter pays her a visit.

But Catherine has no intention of going gently into that good night, so she travels to Ireland for answers about the banshee’s curse hanging over her family. After a near deadly attack from a malevolent spirit, she meets Liam—a Fae sent to help her. Liam tells her the terrible truth: the banshee is part of a league of Dark Fae that collects human souls. If Catherine doesn’t find a way to stop the banshee, her and her sister’s souls will be lost forever.

Catherine and Liam must travel through the past and into the misty Fae underworlds for a miracle. But when Liam reveals he has his own agenda in this war of souls, Catherine must decide between saving herself and her sister’s soul or protecting all of humanity from darkness.

Find out more about the book on Goodreads and pick up a copy from Amazon

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Faeries, Heart-Wrenching, Mystery, Royal-Court, Scary, Supernatural, Suspense--

I found this story to be part romance, part horror and the combination together made for a compelling terrifying read! I have always been intrigued with Banshees ever since I saw the movie Darby O'Gill and the Little People when I was really young and this is the first story I have encountered on that subject ever since. In case you were wondering, Banshees are terrifying and amazing and you do not want to EVER run into one. I loved how Colleen gave a backstory to the scary creatures, as well as reasons and quirks- it really helped me visualize. Also, I am a sucker for Ireland- you set a book there and I will read it. Add in mythology and the Fey- bonus points!

Catherine was the main character of the story and she was as damaged as a character could be. As the book progressed, we learned they whys behind how she was as well as her desperate pursuit to find answers about her sister. There were times (many, many times!) where she would blindly run into a dangerous situation with no thought to the consequences or the fact it was a blatant lie. Over and over again she did stupid things and I really just wanted to shake sense into her. I found Liam to be a great character (my favorite actually!), so complicated and full of layers I was never sure what he would do or be capable of. I liked learning more about him and his reasons for the seemingly terrible things he took part in or forced on Catherine, and the sweet moments and truths he revealed made me want to hug him. The fact that he had any light in him was shocking based on his upbringing and I am concerned for his future promise.

The ending was very surprising (aka shocking), but I guess it should not have been after everything that occurred in the book. That being said, I am not sure if this is a standalone or not- the big issues wrapped up but I have so many more questions that I would love to have addressed because I do not know what will happen next in this world or to the characters I grew to know. This was my first book by Colleen but I look forward to picking up her Through the Veil books asap so I can get swept up in more magical, terrible adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment