Thursday, August 30, 2018

Review: Never Fear the Reaper (Never Fear The Reaper #1) by Ashley Pagano

Book Blurb:

She’s been to the other side and back again . . . But she’s never met anyone like him.

He can see things no one else can . . . But he only sees her.

From the moment he witnesses her do the impossible . . . he is obsessed.

When Chase hires the mysterious ghost exterminator, Ryder, to cleanse his house from a pesky poltergeist he gets way more than he’s paying her for… There’s just something about Ryder that has him mesmerized.

Is it the fact that he’s witnessed her do the unexplainable? Or the fact that she’s absolutely breathtaking? Or perhaps it’s that eerie familiar feeling that they’ve met before, perhaps in another lifetime.

Chase desperately tags along with Ryder on a whirlwind of life threatening adventures in exchange for a few precious moments of alone time with her. With the Grimm Reaper’s Scythe as their defense, Chase developing some supernatural gifts of his own, and an intense crush developing between them what crazy supernatural force will target them next?

Find out more about the book on Goodreads and pick up a copy of Amazon

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Ghosts, Mystery, Scary, Supernatural, Suspense--

Chase was desperate when he decided to contact a "ghost buster" to take care of the entity in his mom's new house that was terrorizing his sister. He had no idea when he hired Ryder, the skilled ghost and demon slayer, that he would be so attracted to her or find all the paranormal stuff so interesting- or that he had a psychic gift. Desperate to know more, Chase bribes Ryder into teaching him about what she does. He had no idea that he was in over his head though and it may cost him his life.

The imagery in the story was spectacular and oh so creepy. I loved the way the Grim Reaper was portrayed, the oil and hands description enough to give me goosebumps and so incredibly different from anything I have seen before. Also Ryder's weapons made a new new gruesome twist that I loved and I can see potential for a Grim showdown later on that I do not want to miss. The ghost and demons were equally as terrifying and the reasons behind them were believable.

I will admit that Chase, the main character and narrator, had a slightly feminine quality to his voice and personality so I did not realize he was a he until a chapter or two in, but it did not change the story at all, just something I noticed. Also, Chase graduated from college and is an adult, but just travels around with him mom and very young sister- does he work? can he afford his car? I had some logistical questions that don't matter to the plot of this book but maybe to the character development in general. Basically, all I know about him is that he graduated college (but not what he studied), that he likes hockey, just discovered he is psychic, and is attracted to Ryder. It is a start, but I am super curious and I hope he develops more in the series. I feel like I know more about Ryder as a person and she was not the main character (but way cooler and hardcore!).

This was such a fast story (at only 120ish pages as per my ereader), really just a taste of this world and battle that Ashley has created. The story itself took place over just a few days and was read in a few hours by me, leaving me hanging and wanting to know more. Overall I found this to be am engaging paranormal mystery and I will check out the rest of the books in the series.

I am voluntarily reviewing an advance, complimentary copy of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment