Monday, April 30, 2018

Review: The Viking's Chosen (Clan Hakon #1) by Quinn Loftis

Book Blurb:

His orders are clear: launch a raid against England and bring home the spoils of war. But the prophecy is also clear: General Torben will take a foreign bride — one who is a seer and healer just like his mother. The eldest princess of England is said to be just that… a beautiful, charming, and headstrong woman. But he's a Viking army general and she's an English princess — and one who is already promised to the king of Tara.

Two worlds collide in this epic historical fiction centered on an undeniable chemistry that smolders against the odds. Richly written and injected with moments of humor, this action-packed romantic tale will leave you breathless.

Quinn Loftis is the author of twenty novels, including the USA Today Bestseller Fate and Fury.

Find out more about the book on Goodreads and pick up a copy from Amazon

My Review:

4.5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Historical, Mystery, Romance, Supernatural--

Torben was told by the oracle that he must go to England to claim his bride for his people to survive. Which that mission just so happens to coincide with his mad Jarl's orders to pillage England. Going undercover, Torben pretends to be a guard to Allete, the princess he will take as his bride- even though she has no idea. Meanwhile, Allete has already been betrothed to the evil King Cathal who wants to break Allete to his will, and is already treating her to his brand of cruelty. Can Torben make the prophecy come true while keeping Allete safe from the clutches of the evil king?

I originally spotted the cover and fell in love with the book, it is such an eye catching cover and I am a cover snob. And then I saw it was written by Quinn, who I just so happen have like every one of her books on my wishlist but I had yet to read one. Oh, and then I read the synopsis and saw this was a paranormal romance, and Vikings! Sigh, dreamy, violent, dirty, mystical Vikings.

Just recently I discovered a little nugget of a show called Vikings and I proceeded to binge watch the entire show in like 2 weeks so now I feel like I am a Viking expert and I may be just a tad (and by tad I mean a huge amount!) obsessed with all things Vikings. And in perfect timing, I discovered The Viking's Chosen and was super excited to jump in to more of this brutal, terrifying world with warriors, curses, fate and gods- and if there just so happens to be a romance, I am not complaining. The premise of the book sounded like the perfect filler for my warrior-withdrawal and I was instantly sucked into this romantic, dangerous quest.

I absolutely love the banter between Torben and his trusted soldiers like Brant, they were absolutely hysterical with their commentary, but you could also see the trust and brotherhood between the men.

Allete was pretty level headed and no nonsense, but her saucy younger sister Dayna and hand maid Lidia were the best most trusted of companions with their unique approach to Allete's problems. Dayna in particular was one of my favorite characters, with her loyalty, man hunt, humor and snark in every encounter.

Dayna made a sound between a snort and a laugh. "Breasts are like sunshine, my dear sister. Everyone likes them."
And don't forget this exchange:

"I may be only sixteen, mind you I am very close to seventeen, but that does not mean I do not know a prime stallion when I see one. Or two," she added cheekily.

I pointed my finger at her, attempting to sound as stern as possible. "Well, you just make sure you don't suddenly develop an interest in equestrianism, Dayna Auvray."

It was nice that both main characters had such great supporting characters to help them on their dangerous, romantic quest​. I rooted for Allete and Torben as well as Dayna and Brant to get their hopes desire.

​Keep in mind that this is very much a historical romance, but it just so happens to have elements of magic and​ mystery thrown into it. Also, the gritty details of the time as well as the Vikings lifestyle were captured in all their terrifying, dirty, dangerous, muderous details. But geez, this was so romantic at times, like sigh worthy romance- Torben is so dreamy. And I would kidnap Torben if he and Allete were not so perfect for each other and so in lurv. Keep in mind that this is the start of a series and ended in a cliff hanger (curse you, cliff hanger!). That means I am counting down the days until I can get more of this story and the epic romance that swept me away. This is my first adventure by Quinn and I desperately want more, she is now added to my too read author list.

​I am voluntarily reviewing an advance, complimentary copy of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment