Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Review: Little Monsters by Kara Thomas

Book Blurb:

Kacey is the new girl in Broken Falls. When she moved in with her father, she stepped into a brand-new life. A life with a stepbrother, a stepmother, and strangest of all, an adoring younger half sister.

Kacey’s new life is eerily charming compared with the wild highs and lows of the old one she lived with her volatile mother. And everyone is so nice in Broken Falls—she’s even been welcomed into a tight new circle of friends. Bailey and Jade invite her to do everything with them.

Which is why it’s so odd when they start acting distant. And when they don’t invite her to the biggest party of the year, it doesn’t exactly feel like an accident.

But Kacey will never be able to ask, because Bailey never makes it home from that party. Suddenly, Broken Falls doesn’t seem so welcoming after all—especially once everyone starts looking to the new girl for answers.

Kacey is about to learn some very important lessons: Sometimes appearances can be deceiving. Sometimes when you’re the new girl, you shouldn’t trust anyone.

Find out more about the book on Goodreads

My Review:

5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Teen--

Kacey feels like she finally belongs, living with a family she didn't even know she had, getting along with her two step and half siblings, and being accepted into Jade and Bailey's tight-knit friendship. And then, all of the sudden, her friends aren't talking to her. But before she can even fix whatever she must have done wrong, Bailey goes missing. Kacey refuses to give up on her friend, but the truths she discovers will hurt the most. There is some darkness that is not meant to be seen.

Little Monsters has been on my radar since I first learned about it months before it was released since I enjoyed the book Dark Corners by Kara so very much, I just kept putting off reading it since I knew I needed time set aside to not be interrupted while reading. Kara has the ability to create multifaceted characters that feel real and you can empathize with, regardless of what they are capable of. And the plots! Oh geez, the plots- full of twists and painful, shocking surprises that totally take the story in unforeseen directions. This review will be short(ish) and to the point (ok relatively to the point since I tangent with the best of them, and I am fan-girling here, ok!) because I absolutely refuse to spoil and ruin something about this AMAZING story. Just know that I loved every minute that I was sucked into this dark, dangerous, completely messed up teen mystery. Nobody could be trusted (and yes, that means the main characters too!) and everyone has a secret, some more surprising than others.

This is the thing I have come to love about Kara's books- I can't guess the endings. I love a good mystery where I am pulled in multiple directions but the actual outcome was a surprise. I had at least four solid, potential suspects with perfect motives, yet none of what I expected happened. In fact, the story veered into a completely different path and I was horrified, shocked and could not get enough. Even the last few paragraphs at the end caught me by surprise and gave me chills.

This is the second book I have read from Kara and she has set the bar pretty high for herself. She has made a fan out of me and I will gladly read whatever twisty road she wants to lead me down next. I HIGHLY reccommend this book for those who want to stay up past their bedtime reading because you will litterally not be able to put this book down until you get to the shocking conclusion.

High five Kara, high five.

No comments:

Post a Comment