Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Review: Starflight (Starflight #1) by Melissa Landers

Book Blurb:

Life in the outer realm is a lawless, dirty, hard existence, and Solara Brooks is hungry for it. Just out of the orphanage, she needs a fresh start in a place where nobody cares about the engine grease beneath her fingernails or the felony tattoos across her knuckles. She's so desperate to reach the realm that she's willing to indenture herself to Doran Spaulding, the rich and popular quarterback who made her life miserable all through high school, in exchange for passage aboard the spaceliner Zenith.

When a twist of fate lands them instead on the Banshee, a vessel of dubious repute, Doran learns he's been framed on Earth for conspiracy. As he pursues a set of mysterious coordinates rumored to hold the key to clearing his name, he and Solara must get past their enmity to work together and evade those out for their arrest. Life on the Banshee may be tumultuous, but as Solara and Doran are forced to question everything they once believed about their world—and each other—the ship becomes home, and the eccentric crew family. But what Solara and Doran discover on the mysterious Planet X has the power to not only alter their lives, but the existence of everyone in the universe...

My Review:

4 Out of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Audiobook, Romance, Space, Survival, Suspense, Teen--

Solara is attempting to indenture herself out as a servant for passage to the Fringe for a new job, but to her luck, the only persona willing to hire a convict is Doran, a spoiled rich boy who was her biggest competitor when she was at school and is only interested in humiliating her. But when an unexpected hiccup occurs in Solara's well laid out plans, she has to improvise...even if that means tasing Doran, causing him lose his memory and having them both catch a ride on an unregistered junker ship while being pursued by the law.

This review will be a little bit short because I feel like I would just fan girl the entire time, and nobody wants that...well, maybe some people want that, but I will attempt to keep it at a minimum. I am absolutely in love with this book! This is probably the best story I have read recently and I have no idea why I put it off for so long. It had been on my wishlist, but I just kept pushing past it to read other things that seemed more important at the time. Well, I am ever so glad that I finally read this book and now I wish I had a physical copy to hug lovingly to my chest.

​The best way to classify this book would be to call it a teen version (with a few adults thrown in the mix) of the cult classic show Firefly, full of space pirates, smugglers, all different kinds of people creating new worlds, technology meets the old west in flare, crazy scary bounty hunters, enforcers, romance, betrayal, lies, duels for a wife, charming kleptomaniacs, mischief and mayhem galore...oh and a sugar bear named Acorn​. Everything about this book spoke to me and I wanted the adventure to continue when I reached the end.

This is the first in a series, with the next book narrated by different crew members on the Banshee, which I am excited to get the mysterious backstory from Kane and Cassia, but on the other hand I love Doran and Solara and I am concerned book 2 can't live up to the high standards that this book generated. This is a must read for any space adventure fans, teen scifi fans and anyone who misses Firefly.

As a side note, I listened to the audiobook version and it was spectacular! The narrator was spot on on all the character's personalities and voices and I highly recommend the audio version for those interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment