Thursday, July 27, 2017

Review: Everafter, Vol. 1: The Pandora Protocol (Everafter: From the Pages of Fables #1)

Book Blurb:

From the team that brought you Fables: The Wolf Among Us comes a new chapter of the Fables legacy! In a post-Fables world where magic abounds, it can be wielded for the greater good or used to plant the seeds of anarchy and terrorism.

The Shadow Players are a global network of agents--both Fable and mundane--tasked with policing a newly enchanted world and protecting humanity from itself. Everafter features the return of series favorites Bo Peep, Peter Piper, Hansel, and Connor Wolf, as well as exciting new characters and a terrifying new villain! Written by Fables: The Wolf Among Us veterans Matthew Sturges and Dave Justus with gorgeous art by Travis Moore (Fables: The Wolf Among Us, JLA All-Stars), you won't want to miss this series that Fables creator Bill Willingham himself told us we had to get into your hands as quickly as possible!

My Review:

4 out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another_World, Fairytale, Graphic Novel, Mystery, Scary, Supernatural, Werewolves, Zombies--

In an alternate reality, Fables walk among man, part of the human world while still retaining the magical talents they are known for. A special group of Fable operatives are tasked with keeping mankind safe through covert ops and morally questionable actions. The world may know about the Fables, but humanity has no idea what kind of danger they may be in.

I have heard that the Fable graphic novel series was awesome for years, but I never knew where to start since there are SO many books and spin offs and individual stories, so I put off starting them. When I discovered this story and saw it was the first in it’s own little storyline, I jumped at the chance to get my feel wet in the Fables world. I am in love with the concept of fairytale retellings, especially when they are super different or crazy, and I had no idea what to expect. Well this was such a cool world, full of the known and unknown fairytale/nursery rhyme people and dangerous missions, with lots of gore and violence.

The most interesting parts of the plot were the snippets of the back story from the characters as well as the metamorphosis of the humans changing into new fables themselves, with altered magic and quirks (like a girl who can explode people and control her zombie family or a fake magician who becomes not so fake). This story had a few different plots intertwined, each with it’s own mysteries that did not resolve, making me hungry for the next edition.

I enjoyed the world building as well as the illustrations in this graphic novel, and I can’t wait to get my hands on ALL the Fables graphic novels. I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment