Thursday, June 1, 2017

Review: Scarred (Beauty of the Dark #1) by Amanda Leigh

Book Blurb:

A sassy witch, a vampire sworn to protect her, and a vampire that’s falling for her...? All bets are off.

Kiara was born with power. At eighteen, her powers are peaked, and she's destined to destroy the demon threatening her home town. But even with her power and the help of Kaleib, a vampire who’s like an older brother to her, they're not strong enough to stand against the evil. Enter Trent, a vampire with a secret past, and the tables turn, giving them a fighting chance.

Kiara shouldn’t feel anything toward Trent, especially since Kaleib hates him, but a strong attraction builds between them during their mission. Trent has successfully avoided caring about anyone for over one hundred years, and he plans to keep it that way. When Kiara asks for help, he can’t seem to deny her. Never would he imagine that he’d run into Kaleib, someone from his past--a vampire who knows his secret. Trent convinces himself he's aiding Kiara for his own selfish amusement, but the little witch seems immune to his charms and she's chipping away at his walls. To his dismay, he finds himself beginning to care for Kiara.

Between the demon that wants to kill her and two fighting vampires, how will things play out for Kiara and Trent? Will this demon let them live to find out?

My Review:

3 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Romance, Supernatural, Vampires, Witches--

Trent is drawn to a voice he hears while out hunting, a beautiful voice that brings him to an even more attractive girl. When the girl catches him watching her, instead of being scared, she challenges him. Kiara is a witch and she is not scared of a vampire, instead she wants him to join forces with her and her friend Kaleib to fight a darkness that is coming.

I really liked the idea of this story as well as the mixed supernatural aspects, unfortunately I just could not really get into the book. A battle of good versus evil is always appealing to me, and the author did a good job of showing the challenges the characters have to face as well as the darkness and danger that surrounds them all. The plot was the best part of the story, keeping me reading because I was not sure what would happen next. Surprising to me, the book was dark, with death being a real consequence of certain actions, adding a realistic aspect to the story. The part that made it difficult to 100% enjoy the story was the fact I could not connect to the characters. I read about what they were doing and hear them say how they were feeling, but not once did I feel what they were feeling. I need to have both a solid plot and engaging characters for me to lose myself to a story.

​The ending was a big surprise! I never saw it coming and couldn't even have tried to predict it. Forewarning, this was a cliffhanger where there is no conclusion, more like the middle of an event and it just stops. ​ So make sure you have the next book handy because you will desperately want to see what will happen next. I am sure that lots of people will like this book, and I recommend it to anyone looking for a teen supernatural romance.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment