Saturday, May 20, 2017

Review: Beast by Megan Crewe

Book Blurb:

"You think you have it all figured out, Max, but this isn't your game anymore."

Max Weston knows that life is a game: Turn on the charm, say what people want to hear, and whatever you want is yours for the taking. What do a few lies matter if everyone ends up happy? His best friend, Davey, can't look a cute girl in the eye and barely scrapes by in school, so yeah, Max hassles him sometimes. But he always has the guy's back—even when a strange beast attacks Davey in the woods.

As Davey heals, something awakens inside him. Something with razor-sharp teeth, vicious reflexes, and no patience for Max's ploys. Suddenly Davey is challenging Max, getting smarter, stronger, faster—and harder to control. Max plunges into a series of schemes to save his friend, but with each move he makes, Davey lashes back twice as hard. The monster inside him is calling the shots now, and the game it wants to play has deadly consequences for everyone Max loves.

If Max forfeits, he's giving up on his best friend. But winning might mean losing even more.

Teen Wolf meets Pretty Little Liars in this edge-of-your-seat supernatural thriller.

My Review:

3.5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Suspense, Supernatural, Teen--

Everything is great in Max's world- a loyal best friend, an attentive girl friend, and an adoring sister, as well as popularity at school and pretty much everything goes his way. One night during a party, Max's best friend Davey is attacked by a wild animal- Max is almost certain it looked like a half man beast, but he figures it must be the drugs talking. But when Davey's serious wounds start healing almost instantly and he starts acting strange, Max knows something is off. And he is willing to do anything to save his friend- even if it is from himself.

I liked the concept for this story. When I first read the synopsis, I was instantly interested in reading this book. I love anything mystery/supernatural, add in the hint of werewolf (which just so happens to be my favorite kind of paranormal creature) and I knew that I was going to read this story. A little later on and the cover was revealed and I loved it, and yes, I am a cover snob, but don't judge, it's just so pretty! Anyway, I was super excited to get my hands on this story. This a perfect blend of mystery and paranormal, with some horror moments thrown in for flavor. I had no idea how the story would end, and I never could have predicted the ending. What a twist.

When I finally read the book, I was surprised by the complexity of the characters, mainly Max and Davey. Max is the narrator and I think the best way to describe his is as the "antihero". He is so focused on his end result, that he can't really see the harm he is causing on the way. He at first appeared like the perfect guy, the best friend, boyfriend and brother, but then he actually does shady things like make out with a trusting girl to make her compliant to his plans and sabotaging his sister for her own good. He was so complicated. I wanted to like him, and I surprisingly did, but I felt conflicted about him and what he thought was right. I wanted to root for him, but at the same time I didn't really know him.

And then we have Davey. Davey was a quiet, shy pushover who was a constant shadow to Max's glory. I makes sense that when the changes started to occur, there was a part of him (a large part it seems) that refused to rollover to Max and revert to the person he previously was. I could empathize with that, why go back to that person? But on the other hand, there is the whole murderous rampage thing. The dynamic between the two was complicated to say the least.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment