Friday, April 14, 2017

Review: The Bulletproof Boy (Sophie Shields #2) by Loretta Lost

Book Blurb:

Fighting his way to the top, Cole Hunter has built the successful architectural firm he dreamed of all his life. But after a recent brush with death, Cole realizes what really matters to him and shifts his priorities. He is furious with the woman he loves for abandoning him, and he is willing to give up everything -- his company, his friends, his fame -- just to give her a taste of her own medicine.

But his revenge has unexpected consequences...

------ A life-threatening journey into the Nevada desert holds many discoveries for Sophie, including an emotional reunion.

At twenty-seven, she is given the opportunity to meet her biological family for the first time. But an innocent woman has been killed by the same monster who shot her brother, and she feels compelled to help bring her justice. For the first time, Sophie is feeling torn between her separate lives, but when an old enemy gets dangerously close to finding her, no identity or location might be safe any longer...

My Review:

4.5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Romance, Suspense--

Do not read this book with out reading the first book in the series first. This is a continuing storyline and this book basically picks up where the last book picked up. I think the best way I can describe this book and series, is a complicated mystery with so many moving parts, yest at the heart of it are two damaged people desperately clinging to the love they hope to find together. The book is messy, twisty, heart breaking, dark and compelling.

This is the first book (ok, this is the second book in this series, so the first series) that I have read with a person with an alternate personality. I have studies a lot of psychology when I was in school and everything the author does makes perfect sense and is so realistic. The alter comes out when a character (who I will not name in case of spoilers, but I feel like its obvious) gets into difficult, be it emotional or physical, situations that the character can't handle on their own. The best part is how calm and accepting Cole is of the situation (it actually seemed as if he preferred Snow...), perfectly aware of the alter, accepting and willing to have a relationship with both personalities. It made the book that much more interesting and twisted.

​I loved that the story started with Cole narrating in the present, leading up to why he felt the need to fake his death. His motivations and perspective really enlightened things that I had previously thought about in the first book (and made me kind of mad for his reasoning). It was also great that the viewpoints switched again to both characters as teens, I love the looks into their pasts together. The last book was narrated from teenage Cole in the past and present day Sophie/Scarlet​, but this was told from Both Cole and Scarlet in the present.

The side characters here were so intriguing and I can't help but to be interested in finding out more. Agent Lopez is hysterical and I so want her to be Sophie's friend, and I heart Zack (not as much as Cole, but a large amount) and I want him more in the series, Little Ricky was a big surprise, and the one I question the most was Helen...

​I loved this book, enjoying the mystery of Sophie's life, as well as the mystery of Cole's killer, winding together so smoothly. Can I just say that my absolute favorite part of the book was Cole in the mausoleum (just wait, it was great and explained the book's title even more so). There was honestly so much going on in this book, with twists and plots I never saw coming, potential danger everywhere, emotional upheavals and doubt cast on lots of side characters. I need the last book in the series as soon as possible because I have no idea how this will all end (I hope for a HEA, but I am afraid that may be wishful thinking).

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment