Sunday, February 26, 2017

Review: Undead Love by Lee Sutherland

Book Blurb:

Undead Love finds itself in the sweet spot where The Walking Dead meets the Romance Genre. Gritty, dark, and sexy, it hits the adrenal gland for all the right reasons!

The virus came quickly, civilization collapsed, and in a few short months, humanity was no longer at the top of the food chain.

For the past year, Rus has had no desire to connect with the outside world, preferring that the only company he keeps be the memories of his former life. That is until he meets Polly, the young, spirited, fearless wild-card who has joined forces with a family living on a secluded farm.

Polly doesn't know what to make of this rogue man who has no regards for the rules of her clan. All she knows is that in a world crawling with death, there is something about him that makes her feel alive.

Rus and Polly are caught in a whirlpool of passion and danger as they explore the countryside, searching for supplies. When they find themselves trapped in a cabin, waiting out a violent thunderstorm, the zombies lurking outside aren't the only thing that threatens to tear them apart.

My Review:

3 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Dystopian, Romance, Survival, Zombies--

When a virus outbreak evolved into raising the dead into the undead, the entire world crumbles. Rus has been alone for the last two years, having lost his wife to cancer right when the outbreak started. Polly was weathering the outbreak with her Father, until he sacrificed himself for her to have a chance to live. A chance encounter between the two of them during supply runs causes a connection that they do not want to fight. Can love survive the end of the world as we know it.

I went into this book expecting a dystopian zombie book with a hint of love, but in reality I ended up reading a romance that had just a smidge of zombies thrown in for flavor. I think I would have liked this story more if I was wanting a romance book to read, but I was actually looking for an action packed zombie fest, which this was not. The book was not bad in any way, it was just not for me at this exact time. It was a really fast read and I blew through it in one sitting because the characters were engaging and I liked the sneak peaks of zombie violence shown. And yes, I love the cover, totally swayed me to read the book (minus the man bun, but nobody is perfect).

The book itself takes place over one week, but flashbacks were used to give back story for both characters as well as a general overview of the world. The outbreak concept is very similar to the Walking Dead, where a bite from the infected turn you, but also when you die you automatically turn since everyone ends up being infected. I liked both character's independently, but I felt like the romance was a little forced since time was so short and they barely knew each other, but I guess when the world ends and people are almost all dead, you gotta love the one you are with.

Overall it was an interesting romance story, the first it seems in a series of standalone romances set in the same world. This was the first book I was read by this author and he writes romance and passion well, as well as realistically flawed characters.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment