Thursday, February 16, 2017

Review: Four Times Broken (Burdened #1) by Felisha Antonette

Book Blurb:

Tracey Warren has her last year of high school mapped out--stay focused, graduate in a few months, and get the hell out of Bennington Virginia. Everything is working out in her favor. Life has finally started to normal out, until... a car accident sends her plans spiraling out of her control.

Her pedestrian reality crashes around her after an innocuous encounter with a diabolically handsome stranger. Nathan Newcomb has her head and her world altering minute by minute. Soon, she discovers the only cure for the uneasy feelings and abrasive pain is Nathan himself. A man whose very existence balances between violent chaos and rigidly controlled dangers.

Nathan knows the life of a woman mated to a Burdened Sephlem is destined for peril beyond a human’s reckoning, that he’ll be required to literally hand over his heart to her. But Tracey calls to his desire to experience love in spite of the hazards. And Nathan’s impossibly potent magnetism draws Tracey into a bonding that will put her in mortal danger again and again.

Once the pair becomes one, the threat escalates and nowhere is safe. There are enemies that lurk behind every corner. But the greatest danger may be in the bloodlines that course through Nathan’s veins.

Can their love survive or will their burdened souls surrender and fade away?

My Review:

3 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Angels, Romance, Supernatural, Teen--

Tracey has everything planned out, no detours, on her way to being class Valedictorian for when she graduates in a few months. But when she is rear-ended by a car on her way out of school one day, her whole world is turned upside down. Tracey has no control over her emotions, thought, and dreams, but she knows the mysterious guy who keeps showing up in her life has the ability to soothe her and she wants more.

I originally was drawn to the book because the cover is eye catching (both the new and the original) and I was lured in by the intriguing and vague image. I read the synopsis and I knew I had to read this book. I guess I would call this YA paranormal romance with some mysterious twists. This is the first in what appears to be a 4 book series, so don't expect a standalone or a conclusion.

To be honest, this felt more like a rough draft or maybe a student written book instead of a fully edited and published book. I know that sounds like a mean comment but what I mean is that it needed something. There were so many parts that felt like things were missing, such as dialogue or action, plot...something. As I was reading, I experienced confusion a good portion of the time. I liked the gist of the story and I am not that critical of being lost when it came to the minute details, but I will admit that my brain started inserting stuff in when I felt like something was missing or my mind would drift to something else, so my version of the book may not have been what the author intended. Be forewarned.

I thought the author had a nice idea about the Burdened Sephlem and how they each had unique powers and a whole hierarchy outside of the human world. I had so many unanswered questions about that whole situation and was incredibly peeved that Tracey just accepted everything she was told (which honestly was not much) and was ok without asking questions. I have questions about everything, and it usually has nothing to do with me, yet here is the main character who is fine with the crazy that is now her life. Nathan seemed interesting and I'm willing to give into the soulmate-ish principle the book had to explain the instalove. I did have a problem with the relationship dynamic between Scott and Glen, I was over them by like the second fight they had, I wanted them to just kill each other (or break up, whatever I'm flexible) and put me out of my misery. They were too much and too annoying, I would have preferred to focus only on Nathan and Tracey instead.

Even though I said some unflattering comments, I found the whole idea of the book interesting and I was intrigued in spite of everything. I wanted to get the next book to read, but it is not really available except as a kindle book (which I don't read kindle) so I am not sure if I will continue the series or not. Maybe if it becomes a physical book I may continue... Anyway, I liked the bare bones of the story I just felt like the execution was a little lost.

I received this title from the publisher in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment