Friday, January 20, 2017

My Delicate Destruction (Wolfegang #1) by Jillian Ashe

Book Blurb:

They Promised her Hope...

My name is Katerina Anderson. In 2016, a drug called Hope was created. Administered during suspended animation, the drug was supposed to cure the cancer my twin brother and I had. When an earthquake leveled Los Angeles, we were presumed dead.

Forgotten, we slept.

The day I woke up, I realized everything had changed. My brother was missing, and everyone else I knew was dead. I booked passage on a ship to find Kris. The government thinks I'm a criminal and the cure did more than just cure my cancer. My brother is the only one who might have the answers I need, but that drug and all its false hope set me on a path I'm not sure I can follow.

Will I find my twin and learn exactly what they did to me before it's too late?

My Review:

3.5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Dystopian, Mystery, Space--

Kat is use to being the healthy vibrant one, where as her twin brother Kris has been fighting cancer for years. When Kat unexpectedly passes out, she finds herself in the hospital with a diagnosis of terminal cancer. Left with only one option, Kat and Kris agree to do an experimental treatment where they have to undergo suspended animation for two years to even have a chance of survival. But when Kat wakes up, nothing is like what she expected, the hospital is empty and crumbling around her, and her brother is missing with only a vague note left behind. Kat has to try and navigate this strange unknown world and hopefully find her brother.

So this book was really nothing like what I expected, but in a good way, I swear. I was originally lured in by the gorgeous cover and then further intrigued by the book blurb. But I never could have anticipated the new world I was thrown in. Not only is there a future dystopian world where World Wars have led to the destruction of the earth as we know it, but there is space travel, aliens, medical engineering, racing of old and new vehicles, mystery and adventure...as well as dark subjects like death, murder, torture and embracing your inner demons.

I only gave the story 3.5 stars because I struggled with the first thirdish of the story. Reading it seemed almost like this was a romance instead of a sci-fi story with how much of the first part was devoted to Kat's feelings towards her boyfriend Kevin. When she went to sleep she thought of him and when she woke up, she spent A LOT of time thinking about him and comparing people to him, but they had only been back together for like a day. And then the fact that she was fluent in Japanese and that just so happens to be the main language of the new world, yeah I am not buying it. And the fact that she carried her trunk (which was perfectly unharmed regardless of a building falling on it) out a destroyed building with potentially atrophied muscles and says that the trunk is 200 pounds, yeah no way. There were too many instances like that which made me shake my head at the unlikelihood, causing a disconnect from the story. I am happy to report that it eventually got better and I became more involved enough in the plot to stop questioning everything and just enjoy the dangerous ride.

This is the first in an action packed sci-fi adventure unlike anything I have ever read. The book was gritty and interesting and once I got past the first third of the book, the pages flew by and I really liked the rest of the story. The first book had a good solid ending (yea for no cliff-hanger!) but with so many unanswered questions and journeys left that the next book has the potential to be even better. I look forward to more on this voyage.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment