Thursday, December 15, 2016

Review: Shutter by Laurie Faria Stolarz

Book Blurb:

Sixteen-year-old Day Connor views life through the lens of her camera, where perspective is everything. But photographs never tell the whole story. After Day crosses paths with Julian, the world she observes and the truths she believes—neatly captured in black and white—begin to blur.

Julian does not look like a murderer, but his story is full of holes, and his alibis don’t quite add up, either. This time, Day is determined to see the entire picture…whatever it reveals.

Did he kill his parents? Or didn’t he?

While Julian remains on the run, Day digs deeper into his case. But the more facts she uncovers, the longer her list of questions becomes. It’s also getting harder to deny the chemistry she feels with Julian.

Is it real? Or is she being manipulated?

Day is close to finding the crack in the case that will prove Julian’s innocence. She just needs time to focus before the shutter snaps shut.

My Review:

3 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Romance, Suspense, Teen--

Day likes to take pictures and end up following a boy she wants to photograph, only to later discover that he is a suspected murderer who escaped from the juvenile correction center. Day is intrigued by the boy, while at the same time fearful of someone who could have killed his parents. But when she finds that he in turn followed her home, she realizes that she wants to learn more, possible help him find his freedom. If that is what he deserves...

This was a slow building teen mystery story. I thought the book was only ok. The writing style made it easy to blow through the pages so it was a quick read, and the author is a master of misleading (but that’s all you get out of me, no spoilers!), but the romance felt forced and unnecessary. Honestly, the book probably would have been better if there hadn’t been the attempt at romance, but as with most teen books it exists (and don’t get me wrong, I lurv romance in my stories so I must be serious to say I wish it was left out). This review will be fairly short because I don’t want to give anything away since this is a mystery story and the sleuthing is part of the appeal.

Honestly, I found Day's life to be kind of depressing. She can't really connect to anyone, her parents have basically forgotten her, a cute boy pretty much throws himself at her just for her to pat him on the head and ask her friend if she wants him, and all Day can see is the boy she is hiding from the police. It just felt so futile, and not in a star crossed lovers kind of way (which I don't like anyway). The book is predominantly narrated by Day, but there are a few chapters inserted here and there that are from Julian's point of view, both in present and his memories of the past. Day also uses transcripts of her interviews inserted into the story which I thought were an interesting touch.

​The ending felt like a big slap to my face because I did not see it coming (it was also a little bit of a letdown, but well played on the author’s part for the twist). This was my first book by this author but it won’t be my last.

I received this title form the publisher in return for my honest review.​

2 comments: