Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Review: Wynonna Earp Volume 1: Homecoming by Beau Smith

Book Blurb:

The US Marshals Black Badge division has been fighting back against supernatural threats for decades. But even the toughest werewolf, most bloodthirsty vampire, or grisliest zombie knows there s one agent to avoid at all cost: Wynonna Earp. Descended from the legendary Wyatt Earp, Wynonna is dead set on bringing the unnatural to justice! Collects issues #1-6.

My Review:

3.5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Graphic Novel, Supernatural, TV/Movie, Vampires, Witches--

This is a collection of 4 different cases that Wynonna, her boss Dolls, the mysterious John Henry and the secret team of US Marshalls was involved in to take down the paranormal criminals that target unsuspecting humans. Ultimately, the different cases come together to create the background story for who Wynonna is and what she can do.

I am a huge fan of the television show Wynonna Earp so I was super excited to get my hands on the graphic novel. The illustrations really helped the story come to life, and the personality of the characters was easily seen through the facial expressions/actions created by the illustrators, regardless of there not being a ton of dialogue. I don’t know which came first, the show of the graphic novel, but the characters looked just like I had anticipated them to, which I was very happy about. As a side note, the basis of the storyline is not the same as the television show; it is something entirely its own with only bits and pieces to tie back. (But can I mention that Valdez is an awesome character with the most interesting back story, so I would love to read/and or see more of her).

I think this is a good read for anyone who wants something a little different, paranormal with a flare of history/old west vibe, and lots of shoot ‘em up action. Wynonna is a really strong female character that can hold her own with the best of them, full of sass and swagger, yet willing to risk her life for others. I enjoyed this version and look forward to more from the Wynonna Earp world.

I received this title from the publisher in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment