Thursday, November 17, 2016

Review: The Forgotten Fairytales (Forgotten Fairytales #1) by Angela Parkhurst

Book Blurb:

A psychotic, couture-clad, shoe obsessed Princess.

A not-so-charming, alcoholic Prince.

A hot Big Bad Wolf that she absolutely cannot fall for—no matter how well he kisses.

Seventeen-year-old, Norah Hart had no clue when she walked into boarding school, she'd be surrounded by reincarnated fairy tale characters, let alone learn she was one herself. In a world where the lines between good and evil blur, Norah struggles to find her place. When her actions throw off the balance of the fairy tale world and happily ever afters, enemies surface, ready to destroy her at any cost.

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Faeries, Fairytale, Mystery, Royal-Court, Romance, Witches--

Norah could not be more unhappy if she tried. She is use to being the happy easy to deal with sister, but the fact her father is dropping her and her sister off at a boarding school in the middle of nowhere fills her with dread. But the worst part is that everyone is just a little off, her class schedule does not have the typical high school subject like math and English, but dancing and magic, and people keep calling her princess. Norah is not really sure where she has found herself or what is going on, but she is most certainly going to find out.

I really enjoyed this book. This was such a unique fun story, completely different from what I had expected it to be. The world the author built was so cool, with modern touches interwoven with the bare bones of the fairytale world. The groupings were the best, be it princess, heroes, villains, pirates, fairies… just to name a few. It was like high school cliques but with preordained magic influence. I will admit that I constantly tried to sort the characters based on what I know of the old and the new versions of the fairytales to see if I could figure everyone out.

The book is told from Norah’s point of view so we get to discover what is going on right along with her. The book starts right with her and her moody/depressed sister April being left (aka abandoned by her beloved father) at the boarding school that makes almost no sense. I liked Norah as a character, the fact that she was stubborn refused to give in to the rules/expectations, her curiosity, her confidence in herself, her loyalty, and the fact that she understood her emotions and motivations better than most teens. She seemed much older than her years, maybe due to her nomadic lifestyle previously. I kept trying to figure out what character she was, but I don’t think that I was every fully sure who she was.

I was really scared that I was going to have to deal with the angst of a teen love triangle for the duration of the book, but to my enjoyment, it resolved within the first half of the book. And let me just say that I could not be happier with the outcome (I lurv her special man, he was the best!), I just wanted to do a happy dance when Norah figured out her feelings and the whys behind her feelings (which were so honest!). I am scared the second book might potentially dash my moment of happiness with the couple.

This was a really fun read and I am excited and anxious to get my hands on the next book in the series. There are so many mysteries and conflicts that were left unresolved that I would like to know more about. Overall, I am really glad I got the chance to read this and would recommend it to anyone who wants a new spin on the classic stories.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment