Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Review: Dragonfly Nightmare (Once Upon A Secret, #1) by Erin Richards

Book Blurb:

To be a normal teenage girl.

To forget about the past.

To fall in love for the first time.

Is that too much to ask?

Sixteen-year-old Allie Bailey just wants a break—a break from her overly-protected life. And Dragonfly Meadows summer camp is the answer. A summer away from her parents in the California Sierras with her best friend is exactly what she needs.

But once at camp, Allie notices that things are a little off. Paid excursions are cancelled and staff is replaced with shady new people. When the camp's founder goes "missing," Allie starts to worry. Unable to let it rest due to her past, she starts to investigate, enlisting the help of Logan Montgomery, her best friend's older and adorably geeky brother.

When hauntingly familiar flowers appear in Allie’s cabin, she’s not sure what to think—has her past caught up to her? Yet, after Allie stumbles across a murder conspiracy and chases down the truth, she becomes a target. Pushing through her paranoia and fear to find strength, it's up to Allie to save herself and the campers from a deranged killer before it's too late.

My Review:

3 Out of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Romance, Teen--

Allie was kidnapped and held hostage for 24 hours when she was 12. Now that she is 16 she is excited for her parents to let her off her strict leash so she can have a normal teen experience of going to summer camp with her best friend. But when she gets to camp, it is not what she expected and her internal alarms are going off at all the weirdness she picks up. And on top of the oddities of camp, she is having issues of the boy variety, namely her ex-best friend Logan. Allie may be in over her head and it feels like she is being target for a second time.

I was lured into reading this book by the pretty cover and the idea of mishaps at a summer camp, two things that are sure to peak my interest by themselves. As someone who never attended summer camp, I may have an unhealthy obsession with it.(I had recently watched the show Dead of Summer and wanted more camp danger/escapades.) Unfortunately, I think maybe my hopes and expectations were too high because I only found the book to be ok. It had it's moments of creepy mystery and danger but then at times my interest waned when it came to the teen angst and the flip flopping of romantic interests. I think I would have preferred the book to be less of the relationship between Allie and Logan and any other guy she was currently checking out and more of the mystery and creepy elements. Maybe I was just was in the mood for a mystery more than teen drama at this exact moment. I am glad that I read the book and it is the first in a series so I am definitely intrigued to find out more.

Overall this was a really different concept, unlike anything else that I have read. At times Allie drove me insane with her fascination with EVERY MALE in her vicinity, paying close attention to their butts in particular. She was even checking out her BFFs lurv interest as well as the person that she was convinced was a killer, which made me want to shake her a little bit. I know others will really enjoy this book regardless of my hesitancy and I am interested in reading the next book. I can honestly say I have no idea what will happen next. I did not know this was a series when I started reading, but I am glad that it is because I am not ready to say goodbye to these characters (especially Laurel because she was my favorite).

I received this title from the author in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment