Friday, October 28, 2016

Review: The Empty Room by Sarah Clemens

Book Blurb:

The small town of Eastbrook, Maine seemed like the close-knit community where newlyweds Dean and Elizabeth Montgomery could begin their lives together, and the 1901 Victorian seemed like the house they’d always dreamed of owning. The only condition for purchasing the property was that it was sold in “as-is” condition. When the couple arrives in Eastbrook, they receive anything but a warm welcome from the local residents. And when they realize that as-is condition meant that the previous owner of the house had left every worldly possession behind, the dream of the small town life starts to take a mysterious turn. Day after day, Dean and Elizabeth uncover more truths than they could have ever imagined, or ever wanted to know about the secrets that were hidden in the small town of Eastbrook. And as neighbors become growingly hostile with every encounter, this young couple searches furiously to uncover what the residents are trying to hide. As their journey unfolds, Elizabeth goes missing and Dean must turn to the very neighbors he fears may have known what would happen to her from the moment the couple arrived for help. Because in this town, some secrets are better off hidden.

My Review:

2 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery--

Newlyweds Elizabeth and Dean are excited to move out of the big city and live in a small town to begin their life together. When they find the perfect home online, they know if is the right place for them, regardless of the fact it was abandoned by the previous owner with all his furnishings left inside. Ready for their new adventure, they are surprised by the reception they receive in town. People refuse to talk to them, and when they do it is with anger or threats. The couple refuses to be daunted, and decide to go through the past owner’s possessions to make room for their own. Only to discover that there is one completely empty room in the house. When more questions and strange occurrences start to happen, the couple starts digging for answers.

This will be a short review because I do not like being negative. This was such a slow read! I feel terrible saying that, especially since the premise sounds awesome and I love a good creepy/scary read (which I felt that this had the potential to be). But unfortunately, this did not play out for me as I hoped. I felt like reading the book was a chore that I had to accomplish, instead of the treat I was hoping for. Sure there were moments that were interesting and creepy, but they were buried in the tedium of everyday life that could have been left out in leui of more mystery/creepiness. I just could not connect with the characters or the plot. I did enjoy the cute banter and obvious love between the couple, but I kept hoping for more action or mysterious signs (maybe the signs were there but I missed them). Maybe the author was going for the slow build that is popular in horror movies? I feel that others will really enjoy this story; it just was not for me.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment