Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Review: Whisper of Shadows (Diamond City Magic #3)

Book Blurb:

When the FBI uses an anti-magic law to arrest and torture Riley's boyfriend, they have no idea what hell they are about to unleash. If Riley can't rescue Clay before he breaks, the result will be a disaster of epic proportions.

With time running out, Riley and her family must rely on two people more likely to stab them in the back than actually help. And, even if Riley manages the rescue, she's still got to deal with two kidnappings and the return of her dad from the dead--the same dad who'd been willing to see her dead to protect his secrets.

What's a girl to do? Kick ass, take names, and protect those she cares about at all costs.

My Review:

4.5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Supernatural, Suspense, Urban Fantasy--

Riley is back in book 3 in the series, picking up where book 2 left off. Riley and her boyfriend Price are going to dinner at her family’s house when all hell breaks loose and the FBI storm the house. Price is arrested for unknown reasons and his mafia brother may be the only person who can help Riley get him back. With her family on her side, multiple obstacles directly in her path, and some scary secrets revealed, Riley tries to save the day. Oh and don’t forget the return of her father, thought dead for years, but recently returned to use Riley for her gifts. Just another day in Diamond City.

I have really enjoyed this series, and this title is no exception. If you have not read the first 2 books, this one would not make any sense at all. The book picks right up from the last, with almost no recap (which I personally like) and makes reference to past events as to motivations for the here and now. These books are made to be read in order and I highly recommend it (and I loved every minute of the adventure). So any way, this story was incredibly dark. Not to say that the last two were full of happy bunnies since they dealt with missing people, torture, death, dark magic and manipulation, just to name a few topics, but this was magnified. We see here just what Riley would do for Price, and the answer is just about anything.

The whole story takes place in like 2 days, with so much heartache and danger crammed into the pages, making it impossible for me to put down. This was the most emotional of all the books, at least in my opinion. The reader learns more about Price, his brother, Riley’s family, Dalton and the inner workings of the city dynamics. So many preconceived notions that Riley thought had to be thrown out, like her belief that her sister is delicate, that Price’s brother is evil, that her father loved her, who is in power, and what the FBI do. I did like how some strange alliances were created out of desperation, but they have the potential to do some good in the next book.

The ending was terrible and twisty, making me desperate to get my hands on the next book. I have so many questions that are currently pending and I need to know how this will work out. I have no idea how many books will be in this series, but I know that I will read on forever if I have to. I root for a happy ending for Riley, but I may be reading the wrong story for that.

I received this title from the publisher in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment