Thursday, August 25, 2016

Review: This is Me. by C.E. Wilson

Book Blurb:

A-SIST Anthropomorphic Sentient Individualized Servile uniT

Rogan is a robot. More specifically, he is an Asist – a personalized humanoid servant that provides protection, assistance, and companionship for a lonely young woman living on her own in the city. Chloe is trying to get her big break, singing at bars and clubs all over the city at night while she pays the bills as a substitute teacher during the day. Ever since she activated him many months ago, Rogan has been her beautiful, dependable, obedient, dead-eyed security blanket.

One morning she is shocked when he disobeys a direct command in an attempt to please her and his dull artificial eyes flash a hint of something new. Is this the result of the adaptive Asist servility programming or is Rogan actually thinking? Can a robot think? Can a robot feel?

As Chloe struggles with these thoughts she is blindsided by the singular Niven Adams, a handsome, confident man with the voice of an angel who is everything she’s ever wanted in a boyfriend. He’s the perfect guy for her, except for one problem. Niven doesn’t approve of Asists and takes an immediate dislike to Rogan. As Niven charms his way deeper and deeper into Chloe’s heart, Rogan tries to convince her that he is more than a mass-produced disposable servant.

With Rogan doing everything in his power to prove that his thoughts and feelings are real and Niven trying to persuade her to abandon her robot and have a normal human relationship, Chloe is trapped between the two things that mean the most to her. Does she embrace her relationship with the blond newcomer, or face that her Asist’s feelings may be more than features of his programming?

What really makes a person a person?

Is it a ticking muscle inside their chest, or is it something more?

My Review:

2 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World(?), Romance--

Chloe was given an ASiST by her parents as a graduation gift from college, allowing her the freedom to move to the city without the worry of being alone. Chloe relies on her ASIST, Rogan, for everything, not sure how she could live without him. But not everybody feels that way, some people hate ASISTS and the relationships that people have with them. When a man shows up and starts showing interest in Chloe, will she want an acceptable human interaction or stay with the love she found with Rogan?

I was intrigued by this book and the idea behind it so I really wanted to read it. Well, I was completely let down. I can honestly say that I did not like this story, especially the people in the story, pretty much at all. Sure, I finished the book, but that means nothing since I finish every book. I was curious to see how everything played out, but I could not wait for it to be over, and I was tempted to just read the ending and call it good. I don’t like being negative, but I am being perfectly honest, and I will make this review short.

I hated Chloe, which makes it hard to like the book because she is the main character (for the most part). She pretty much uses Rogan for her own purposes (security, ego, sexually, slave) and discards him as she fits. She argues that he is a person and she is his friend, yet she treats him awfully and acts like he has no feelings after fighting for his feelings. I was confused by her at every turn. She also seemed very immature with her beliefs and comments, such as “I’m not a virgin, I went to college”. And then at one point she accuses her boyfriend for being an ASIST hater and he confesses his past of being such and she in turn sleeps with him as a reward. Yeah, I didn’t understand her. The only character in the book that I 100% liked was Bree, who was a side character that did not get introduced until half way through the book.

Another thing that bothered me was that the view point switched between all different characters randomly, and with no warning. I had to figure out who the story was being told from at the strangest times, like in the middle of a paragraph, and then it switch again. I decided at some point that I didn’t care anymore who was narrating as long as I got to the end, and that is not something I like to feel in a book I am reading. Also, there was no set location or timeline- I had no idea if this was the future or current but altered, based on the modern references used.

I am sure that someone else will enjoy the book, but it was not for me. The concept had potential, I just did not like the people.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment