Saturday, April 2, 2016

Review: Slumber (The Slumber Duology, #1) by Christy Sloat

Book Blurb:

Not all princesses get their happily ever after...

They tell me I killed my boyfriend Phillip in cold blood. I stabbed him twenty one times. I’m only seventeen years old, and I am serving life in Spindle Ridge Asylum for the Criminally Insane.

I don’t remember killing him, so it’s really hard to believe I’m capable of murder. In fact I don’t remember anything before I came to Spindle Ridge, not even my boyfriend. I can only grasp onto my realistic dreams while the madness of the asylum threatens to pull me under. I dream I’m a beautiful princess and there is an evil faerie named Maleficent who is bent on my destruction. The dreams are the closest thing I have to memories of my life, except they aren’t real.

I’m crazy. I’m not a princess.

They’re the mad illusions of an irrational teenage girl, right?

They’ve assigned me a new doctor, and she says I can trust her, and that she’ll help me see the truth of who I really am.

When she arrived she brought a new patient, Sawyer, who is everything Spindle Ridge isn’t: exciting, mysterious and beautiful. He promises he’s here to rescue me. Trusting either of them frightens me.

Could it be possible that my dreams are more than just the imaginings of a delusional girl? Could they be truth?

My Review:

3 Out of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Fairytale, Mystery, Royal-Court--

Rory has spent the last year in a mental institute, with no memory of her life before or of killing her boyfriend. She spends her time being treated like a dangerous crazy person, trying to blend in to not draw attention to her self. The asylum is not what it seems and Rory is not who they say she is.

I love fairytale retelling and I am always interested in what twists an author brings to the story. I was intrigued in this dark version of Sleeping Beauty, taking place in a mental hospital filled with death and torture. I can honestly say that I could never have predicted what was going to happen or all the characters and the dynamic of the hospital. The author was able to create something so very unique and dark.

Unfortunately, I spent a lot of time being confused with the book. I don't know if that was what the author intended since a majority of the story Rory was confused and medicated, but I was just as lost as she was and I don't really enjoy that feeling. The chapters switched views between many characters yet nothing was really explained and I had a hard time getting invested in the characters or the book except on a surface level of appreciate the concept.

I am sure other people will love this book, but it was just not for me.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment